Broken Sprit

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:59 pm

OK - I had a wild race this past Saturday (10/30/2004). On this the last race of the season, we raced a long 15 mile race course around Carlyle Lake in in Illinois. The first leg is a going to be a broad reach about 7.5 mile long. The wind is 25 to 30 knots and gusting more. We set chute and just took off. We were doing 12 to 14.7 knots on a full plane and just sailed past all of the other boat. All of a sudden, my sprit just ruptured about 2 feet in front of the bow...a clean snap. The boat just broached. The bottom of the keel was showing. My wife sitting next to me fell to the leeward lifeline. I followed. She was washed off the boat. My crew just let the spin halyard go and the boat came up. We gathered in the chute and went to retrieve my wife (another story in itself). The good news is that other than the bow sprit, there were no injuries. I'm still married to my wife (I hope? at least she wwas nice to me last night)

My question is to those out in the J/80 world, has any one else experienced snapping their bow sprit.
Terry Burke
TopNotch Hull#405

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:30 pm

We snapped ours off during the 2003 NA's when we were sailing downwind on starboard and miscommunicated our intentions to a port-tack boat. Our sprit struck their stern pushpit (traveling right to left) as we turned hard to starboard (left to right). No structural damage to us other than the sprit, and minimal scratches on their pushpit. It could have been MUCH worse!

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:42 pm

Not only could it have been much worse, but Hammertime went on to finish the race (in the top 10 I believe). We were amazed to see them on the next run flying the kite, tack of the sail way up in the air. Great race, Steve

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics