Storage

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 11, 2001 6:03 pm

I am trying to buy a new or used J/80 for next season. Coming from a larger boat, I'm a little concerned about where to store things. Any of you worked out clever ways to organize the space under the companionway and back? Especially engine storage so it won't rattle around or leak gas. Also any pointers on buying one would be most appreciated.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:14 pm

I had a local canvas shop build me a nice padded bag, which I use to tranport and store the outboard. I lay it back behind the companionway ladder and ice chest while racing. It does not move much while sailing, and it and the boat are protected from damage by the padding. Closing the fuel line valve and tank vent seems to prevent any leakage, though I would not recommend storing the motor on its side for extended periods if you can help it. The small areas under the main berths have proved adequate for small gear storage (winch handles, anchor, first aid kit, etc.). Good luck finding a used boat - they are few and far between right now!

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 10:15 pm

The space under the quarter berths is not real useful because stuff moves to the back and gets wet. I built boxes four or five inches deep and the size of the covers out of 1/4 inch plywood. Expoxied waterproof and left drain holes with fiberglass mesh covers in the bottom. They are small but much more useful than the open tank. We keep extra winch handle, duct tape, first aid kit, 2 cycle oil, flares, horn, etc.

Most useful storage feature is a companionway spin bag that retracts over the port berth.

We also have a mesh bag on the starboard chainplate bulkhead that is handy for all kinds of small stuff, especially crew's wallets. Stuff never gets wet there.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:53 pm

I had the local canvas shop make up 2 textaline mesh bags about 3 feet long and a foot deep, that I have fastened with snaps on either side of the hull above the quarter berths.
They dry if they get wet, and come out at the end of the season.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:17 pm

I went out and bought a few cheap plastic laundry baskets. These can be bolted down if not over the watertight cells or held in place with Velcro strips from my local Home Depot(which I do) and placed wherever you want them. Two of them, side by side, tightly fill the space behind the companionway. With one end cut out of one the outboard rides perfectly and doesn't move around. Any gas or oil leakage is contained. I also usually have one on each quarterberth for the crew's gearbags etc and one on either side of the mast for small parts, tape etc. They keep things from flying around the interior while sailing. Best of all, they weigh nothing, drain freely, and are disposable.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:18 pm

Please post some more information about your companionway spin bag.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:58 pm

I have seen several types of spinn bags which are all variations on the same theme. Mine was made by North Sails (Jay Lutz's loft) and runs on two line "rails" rigged fore and aft in the boat. The bag slides forward to clear the companionway when not in use and pulls aft to completly fill the companionway space for launching and dousing. It is made of heavy spinn cloth with a mesh bottom and keeps the spinnaker off the cabin sole. I have seen similar all mesh bags from Layline in some boats, also running fore and aft - as well as bags from Shore sails and other sources that run side to side but essentially function the same way.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:28 pm

John, Thank you for the information.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics