PLEASE critique my new J/80!

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:03 pm

All,

Great comments. I just bought #370 which is headed for Hawaii. Some more questions:

a. Do folks use the companionway bags layline sells for the J24s for the chutes?

b. Consensus is add a larger jib (135) for light air (yes we do have light air here occasionally.

c. Any comments on how much you had to fair the keel? We will dry sail and I plan to long board.

d. Any heavy air tips?

Bob Stephenson
Kailua Hawaii

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2001 9:40 pm

Dear Bob,
congratulations on you purchase. You bought a great fun boat, and heavy air reaching will bring you to the sailing haven for sure......

yes, I use a turtle bag and works well.

135% : Do not forget that most of the fox sail in medium to moderate air. If you sail a lot in heavy air the money is better invested in a 70% plast reacher Heavy duty (airex 600 and loads 700) Jay lutz from North sails is the guru.

Heavy air sailing: Because the boat is a easily driven hull, you need very effective heavy air technics. I tell you what works for me in Perth,
the second windiest City in the World.

Trim the main and jib for a really flat shape.
Plenty of Backstay!! (I replace the blocks twice in 18 months), if you do not ID double up the boom vang purchase to 16:1) and do what they call vang sheeting. put vang on hard as hell!!! and ease main in gusts. The vang will hold the leech and the lower part of the main, and open the top part, spill excess air and reduce unwanted heel.
(BEFORE BEARING AWAY DO NOT FORGET TO EASE THE BOOM VANG TO 90O OR YOU ARE IN FOR A NASTY SUPRISE )
Rig tension in heavy air: I use 36 on the upper, 22 on intermediate and about 24 on lower. Check you pre-bend you about 11/2 inch. And do not forget to put the wood block in front of the mast at deck level. (North and Quantum have excellent rigging notes)

In heavy air I use either a 100% Jib or a 80% jib and over 20 knots I would use the 70% kite most of the time. Trust me in 25 knots reaching with 70% you go owsome.....You probaly do not want any more power, you and you crew having a hell of a time and the view with the smaller kite is much better....you probaly faster than anybody else anyway.... and the smaller kite is just a bit less of a monster in 25knots..

any other heavy air advise: Yes, dress for the occaccion and enjoy..

Bob

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:03 pm

Bob-

I own 334 that I took delivery on in October. Regarding your keel I would recommend that you purchase templates and shape your keel to the templates. Long boarding by itself will make it fair-but not symmetrical-its a big difference. My keel from the factory was really pretty nice for a poured chunk of lead but you might be surprised at how un-symmetrical a poured lead keel is-for any boat.

Don't know how much the extra time and money to do this will benefit you but I've heard that its equivalent to a new set of sails-In other words well worth doing. Good Luck and enjoy-I'm jealous of your venue!

Scott

#334 "Boomerang"

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2001 12:06 am

Bob,

I'd say 99% of the 80 sailors use a spinn. companionway bag. The one we build started out it's life as a J/24 bag then grew some (especially with a .5oz -it needed to be larger). If you e-mail me separately I would be happy to describe in detail.

The PHRF genoa size really is/should be determined by 1)your wind conditions and 2)your PHRF local rules.

My new hull (335) and all J/80's from TPI in general come pretty close in keel offsets. These keels are at least on the same playing field and much better then the old J/24 keels of the 1980's that were in a different ballpark from the offsets. BUT, the problem is that the the keels are painted AFTER the keel is attached to the hull. This material is rolled on with what appers to be 30 grit rollers. It is redundant in as much as what TPI puts on you have to sand off in order to paint the keel again. There are a couple of things I would recommend but remember I am not a foil designer so take as such.
1)Trailing edge 2mm and squared off. Same with rudder. I think a fat trailing edge causes much of the humming we all hear and feel.
2)Trailing edge vertical. No eliptical shape.
3)Keel smooth to the touch and fill in the hollows.
Obviously fairing to class offsets is the best idea but it depends on your budget.

And oh yeah, I forgot to mention that NOTHING is better then new sails (to Scott)!

Jay Lutz

Previous

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics