Nissan 4x4 Outboard

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:27 pm

I've got everything else ordered and pinned down for my J/80 except the OB and I must have one where I tie up. I may be crazy but it must be a 4-stroke. While I really wanted a Yamaha 4x4 LS, I have called all over the country and they're estimating 90 days and won't promise anything firm. The Honda 5HP is too heavy and no internal tank, the 2HP not permitted. Suzuki 4-strokes too big. Not comfortable with a Merc or Tohatsu. With OMC bankrupt, Johnson/Evinrude are out. That leaves the Nissan 4HP, 4-stroke long shaft as the only viable alternative. But Nissan's have been so maligned on this forum (although mostly the 3.5 2-stroke) and elsewhere that I'm afraid to buy one. Are all Nissan's questionable or just the 3.5x2?

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:42 pm

I purchased a Yamaha F4 just today for $1080, long shaft 4 stroke with 1Gal. internal tank; last years model but still new. Check out dealers at Yamaha's webb page in your state selling outboards exclude boat package dealers.
Stray Jay #293

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:39 pm

I still have my Nissan 3.5 horse 2-stroke. You are welcome to use to see if you like it (no charge). If you like it, it's yours for $500. If you don't like it, just give it back. I confess I don't like the thing, but others think it's fine. In the mean time, it's class legal and you have something to use while you figure out what you want. Let me know. We could meet half way, say New Buffalo. 616-553-3512

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 18, 2001 3:43 pm

I have used a Nissan 5 hp 4 stroke for a year on my old boat (just getting hull 364 ready for her first season) and it performed very very well. I wanted a 4 stroke for the environmental and noise/vibration reasons, and choose the 5 hp over the 4 hp because in the Nissan line they weigh the same. I also prefer the external tank, since during races the engine will be stored on its side. I needed more than 3 hp because of some strong currents under 2 bridges between my mooring and the bay.

Good Luck.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:21 pm

I believe that the Nissan 3.5 is actually a Tohatsu! yes it is a miserable piece of machinery...I dont know about the 4X4 Nissan , but the Yamaha looks real nice and the Burton power/sail center in OH has one in stock, last I looked.... ( bought discounted Yachtwin instead)Disadvantage to the 4 strokes are Weight, bulk, cost and the fact that you can only set down on one side because of oil in crankcase....

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics