Gin pole

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:24 pm

Does anyone have any advice about the construction of a gin pole? I have an old J 24 mast that I am planning on using. I believe I read in the old forum that the pole should be about 18 1/2 feet long. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:56 pm

Mount it as close to the partners as possible and hold it up with three "stays" led to the bow cleat and the stanchion bases. Use a pad if possible to avoid damage to the deck (it can even be a box which adds height if your pole if slightly too short). Mount a ratcheting block at the top and run a line through it (the correct direction!) and then make a loop which is about 2 feet in diameter around the mast. Make sure the loop goes outside the lowers if they are still on. When the loop reaches the lower spreaders you can begin lifting the mast.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:06 am

I am also looking to build a gin pole. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

John Farmelo

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:59 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on material to build a gin pole from? I think an old mast is a great idea but does anyone have one made from something else that works well?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Old laser extrusions work really well. I have also seen broken hobie rigs, j/22 rigs and a scow rig. Just get good low stretch line to set it up with.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:48 pm

I use a design that I copied from Dennis Michael on Bigamy. It is a 3" diameter aluminum tube. It is really light.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:47 pm

I have detailed instructions with photos that I can send directly or can ask to have poosted on the website.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:52 am

Hi All, Thought I would chip in here

I build the gin pole for Kikiyon (Hull 220)
Here's what I built.

I agree the balance point is just above the spreaders, I have found though that is very manageable if raised lowered from the lower spreaders

Basic design: 18' 6" total length.
I used this length so that the top is far enough above the lower spreaders that all Pole rigging lines are clear during the raise and lower.

I used a 2.5" .125 Wall Aluminum tube - I got this from a local Metal supplier. If I were to do another I would spend the extra $$ and use a 3" tube. The 2.5" tube is adequate but dose need the proper tension of its shrouds. Over tensioning flexes the pole.

I started out with rope shrouds for the pole and this was not working. I experienced to much stretch in the inexpensive rope I used. I have since switched to steel cables. The steel is about the same price as good low stretch rope if you put your own eyes on the ends.

I included a cheap trailer crank winch on the pole that locks so that the person rasing and lowering can stop and help out if necessary. This allows for the mast to be raised with a minimum of people. We do it with 2 people

The pole has three shrouds, Two side shrouds attached to the pole about 3' below the head and a Bow shroud attached at the head. The bow shroud attaches to the bow cleat. The two side shrouds run to the base of the middle lifeline stanchion and then back to the primary Jib Winches.

The base I make of a plate of aluminum then add a layer of plywood that is wrapped in carpet. I made the base so that it pivots. this really helps in rasing and lowering the pole.

If you want you can email me, I'm happy to discuss this further.

Robert Kannair

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:21 pm

Thanks guys. The 3" aluminum tube sounds like a good idea. I'm going to look into that and I might e-mail you if I have questions.

Thanks again,
Chris

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:33 pm

I am a stink pot owner who has to change one of the crusader 350CID engines in a walters V drive twin configuration. I would like to rig a gin pole or other type lift that would be capable of lifting the engine out of the hull and swinging it over the side [on land]. The boat is a Silverton 34 convertable and the engins are under the deck in the cockpit area. Any help would be welcomed.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:56 am

How much do the engines weigh and how high do you have to lift them?

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics