J-80 Boat Purchase Project, by Kerry Klingler, Hull 352

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:36 pm

It all started with the itch for my own boat. I wanted a boat that was simple to take care of, and wouldn’t be too expensive. It would have to be fun for Merrill (my wife) and me to sail. It also had to be easy for us to sail with our Kids who are now 3 & 4. The major features that would be helpful were a roller-furling Jib, slugs on the luff of the main. A boat that we could sail off a mooring and didn’t have to dry sail. We also wanted to be able to carry a motor for the days with out wind on the sound. I wanted to have the ability to put the boat on a trailer, and use the hoist at Larchmont Yacht Club to launch. An added bonus would be a class where there is a good organization, and fun racing.

This led me to the J-80 class. I have crewed on a J-80 in several regattas with Martin Kald. I found the class to be friendly, and helpful. The boat is a great boat to crew on. It’s on of the most comfortable racing boats I have raced on. The J-80 is also a fast boat for a 26’ and has a PHRF rating of around 130. Overall I thought that after an initial investment of the boat that it would not cost a lot to keep. One of the best things about this boat is the construction. J-boats have J-80s manufactured with the scrim technology, which makes a very strong boat. Actually I think the boat is over built, which is good. The first thing I thought of was to purchase a used boat. So I called Rusty from McMichael Yacht Brokers for some advise. He is the local J-Boat dealer; Rusty gave me the break down on the cost of a used and new boat. With the Package that J Boats put together we were able to purchase a new boat with a trailer at a reasonable cost.

After deciding to purchase a new boat, the first person I called was Martin Kald for advise. Together we went over things I would need or want to have on the boat. One of the first things we covered was the Type of engine. He suggested I get a 2-cylinder engine as they ten to run much soother than a single cylinder engine. He also suggested I look at the Evenrude 4.0 because it was light and reliable. So I took his advise. The next things we covered were rigging changes or additions. Class Rules, tuning, and safety gear. I have to say there is a lot to cover with the purchase of a new boat. I started by looking up the class rules. The rules were easy to get off the class website. By the way it is a great thing to get the advise of some one who has been through putting a boat together. They can save you a lot of time and expense.

With the start of this project I made a list of thing I would need ant the expense of everything involved. I have to admit that the boat accessories and additions are more expensive than I originally estimated.

J-80 List of things to do.

1. Hall or fixed vang, or Vang Master VM-2,
1. Bilge pump
2. Spinnaker bag, 2’wide, 3’ long, 2.5â€

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 24, 2001 7:01 pm

Congratulations, Kerry! You obviously put it all together! I will be picking up my new J80 #382 as soon as we get some better weather here in Maine. I am intimidated by your momentous project to optimize your boat. As a senior citizen I hope I can single hand the boat as a daysailor and maybe do some light PHRF racing. Do you think that could work ok??

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2001 1:27 pm

Kerry, just read your article and found it very interesting.
We purchased our J 80 last June and sail / race off Dartmouth England. We epoxied the bottom and painted on antifouling. Is Baltaplate an antifouling or is it a trade name and who manufactures it?
Do you have a sketch of your windward jib sheeting arrangement.
Congratulations on your Key West Result

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2001 8:53 pm

Relax Ralph,
Kerry did a wondeful job on his boat and he was rewarded for his search for excellence with his win in Keywest.

If you want to be a serious contenter for the world championship you may have to go o similar lenghts, if you a recreational sailor you can sail the boat out of the box. Do sail it singlehanded I would recommend a rigid boom vang and a lasy jack system.

Of course you can customise you boat to any standard you personally like.

Please be not intimidated by the upgrade Kerry did.
The J/80 is a wonderful boat which can be enjoyed over many different applications. Use it ready out of the box for recreational sailing and club racing or tune it to be hot contenter for the Worlds and anything you personally like inbetween.

You bought a wonderful boat and you will enjoy it.

Bob

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:21 pm

Dear Kerry,

congratulations to the win in Keywest. You put a lot of effort into it and showed us all what can be achieved by attention to detail. Very well done!
I am interested to know whether you boat still humms after you faired the foil and the hull?
If it still humms that it do so at a higher speed then before?

Look forward to meet you in Newport

Bob

Hull 95 Cafe Latte
Australia

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics