Winter Covers

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 1:32 pm

I am considering the purchase of a fitted canvas winter cover for use with the mast up, boat on trailer.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Can you recommend any manufacturers in the US or Canada (Ontario preferred)? I am only familiar with Fairclough.

Thanks..........John Farmelo

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:01 pm

FWIW, nothing wrong with outdoor storage of course, but I would be concerned about mast up with a J/80. This is my first year with a J/80, but it seems to collect quite a bit of water in the bilge from weekend to weekend. I had this problem with a Pearson I once owned and stored mast up with shrink wrap. Water would collect and freeze all winter and by March I thought it was going to reach the sole and push it off or worse. With temps below freezing (Michigan) there wasn't much I could do to correct the problem in March. And the Pearson had a much greater volume bilge than the J/80. Again, FWIW...

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:24 pm

Try Kinder Industries at
http://www.kinder-industries.com/

I believe that they have made some covers for other J/80's

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:26 am

I cover the large opening at the top of the mast with some duct tape to keep water down. The bilge gets a little, but not a lot. I also run a low consumption fan below while I am away from the boat to help with humidity...seems to work well. West Marine sells them for about 40 dollars.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2001 11:41 am

Do you put anti-freeze in the bilge as well?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:49 pm

Last winter I covered it up with a plastic tarp, made sure there was good air flow....left front hatch open a bit, main hatch open a bit.....and she was dry as a bone come spring.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2001 4:54 pm

John,

Where are you in Ontario? (The website will not allow me to e-mail you directly). I am in Toronto.

Last winter (my first with my J/80) the boat wintered in Toronto with the mast down, laid lengthwise to form a ridgepole. I removed the lifelines and stanchions and placed a winter cover made of a durable silver synthetic material over the mast ridgepole. I had this cover made locally (at Western Tarpaulin, http://www.westerntarp.com) for under $250. It is not custom-fitted. It is large enouth to cover the entire boat down to below the waterline.

We had more snow than usual this past winter in Toronto. The boat was clean and dry when I removed the cover in April. The tarp was intact and in good condition and I estimate will last at least two more winters.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2001 3:25 pm

Where I live (Phoenix, AZ) we have no worry of winter but the sun can be tough on the boat. To minimize sun damage, I purchased a custom deck awning/cover made by Lorraine Wilson Marine Canvas in San Diego (619-224-2345). This cover is in two sections, meeting at the mast, with a zippered opening either port or starboard. The aft section hangs over the boom, velcro fitted around the shrouds, and the entire cover ties off to the lifelines/stanchions with velcro straps, tie lines and snap bungee cords. It's really a very nice piece of canvas work (about $1350) but I don't know if it would handle snow loads. At any rate, Lorraine does excellent custom canvas for J80s, including sheet bags, tiller covers, furler/jib covers, etc.

Good sailing....John (#383)

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics