Postby Guest » Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:13 pm

I need to charge my gel cell with a solar powered
panel and some kind of regulator.

Anyone got a good system setup?

Any help would be great.

Dave Betts
J80 #282

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:37 pm

Have installed (and works great!) a Solarex Lite 10 watt.58Amps@17.1 volts panel with Sungard Solar controller (regulator). This charges the OE gel battery through my cig female outlet which is installed in the cockpit. The cig outlet also can power my GPS and a small autopilot which I will use, briefly, to hold a heading when necessary. Cost of the solar panel set up less than $200. Dave, we may have talked about this via E mail.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:10 pm

I charge my cells with a 20watt Canon panel and had no problems for the last 3 years. 10 watts is probably plenty.

Works very well

Bob

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:11 am

I'm interested in adding a solar panel to my boat.
What type and how many instruments, lights, radio, auto helm, etc... do you run off of your 20 watt solar
panel, and do you have only one battery.
Thanks

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:23 am

Ok,
The panel I use is a Uni-solar Battery Charger, they come in 5watts, 10watts, and 32 watts.
It is a us company called United Solar Systems Corp
1100 West Maple Road Troy MI 48084 (248)362-4170 or 800 843-3892

What you run does not matter as much as a good size batterie for storage. (min 80). I use the 10watt, it is flexible just a fuse, no protection or any other gear. Just connect it and plug it in, use an extention cable so you can run it trhough the hatch on ventilation.
Never had a problem in 3 years.
What do I run. Well I go twillight sailing, so my cabin lights are all on, cockpit lights, naviagtion lights, wind instruments, and yes somethimes I even forget to turn it all off.
Did I ever use shore power, No I do not even have a charger. How often do I use the boat, at least 2 times a week.

Brilliant system

Bob

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 7:55 am

Thank you for the info Bob.
Sounds like an adequate system for my boat too.
Sam

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:57 pm

I use the same system on my boat. works like a charm - much better than hauling batteries in and out.

i had a flooded cell. i will never do that again after we broached, the battery box broke loose and the battery acid leaked out all over the bilge (bilge sure is clean now though).

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics