Rain water removal

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2001 2:44 pm

Is there any reason not to drill a hole from areas aft of steps or under mast step or even from forward flotation chamber so rain water drains to bilge?? Then all water could be pumped from bilge rather than having to pump several separate areas.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:43 pm

What part of the words "flotation chamber" do you not understand?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:53 am

Dear Bob,
I think as long as you leave the air tight chambers alone and seal the walls after you drilled a hole with a suitable epoxy all water could be collected in the bilge.
My boat is set up that way, I works well for a while till some of the interconnecting channels are blocked. You soon notice and a good clean out of all the channels will work for a few more months.

Regards

Bob #95

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:12 am

Of course, "anonymous", the drain hole small as it is, could also be plugged except to drain the "flotation chamber". I guess I really just wondered if there's any core material in the path of drainage that could absorb water or if those areas are solid glass.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2001 7:36 pm

In defense of my buddy "annon", If you have water in your flotation chamber, you don't have a drainage issue, you have a hole you should fix to maintain its integrety, not drill new holes in it.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:39 pm

Dear "son of a" - I agree. Did I read on this list womewhere that J boats led the bow light wires thru the flotation chamber and thus created some leak points which each of us should caulk up?? ... at least true on some boats? If that's not the case I may have condensation left from last winter....the water temperature around the boat now is 91 degrees F. !

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics