Towing Weights/Vehicles

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:49 am

I am considering getting a J80. I have a Toyota Tundra w/ a V-6. The towing capacity is listed at 5,000 lbs. which should cover the J80 and trailer, but I have had other vehicles (e.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee) rated to tow 5,000 lbs. that could not pull that weight out of my driveway. Please let me know your thoughts and expriences towing the boat.

Thank you very much.

Wood Thornton

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:28 pm

I think your truck is undersized for serious towing, but short distances on relatively flat ground should be fine. You really need a V-8 to tow these boats any distance. Check out the J-24 site for more detailed discussions.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:52 pm

I have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the same motor you have in the Tundra. I towed my boat several times on the east coast with no real difficulty, but I used 4 low around the yards to protect the clutch. While in Denver I borrowed a friends truck. The toy got a bit aspirated over 8000 ft.

Now the truck is in Denver and the boat is in Texas. I'm renting a van when I need to pull. It lets me carry a bunch of people & gear and I don't have to pay as much as owning one outright.

Another option to consider is a TRD supercharger (the dealer can install it) It will give you more HP and as much torque as most of the V8s. Its a bit cheaper then a new truck. Spend your money on the J80!

Steve
Ghost Dancing

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I live on the East Coast and would likely be towing South from Virginia/Maryland most of the time (i.e. pretty flat terrain). I will look into the supercharger.

I may look into a used boat, and one other question I forgot to ask was whether folks have heard of blister or delamination problems with J80's (other than on account of neglect)?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:13 pm

Since they are built using SCRIMP, I don't think blistering/delam has been a problem with the 80's. On older boats, look for stress cracks around the companionway, water in the rudder at the tiller bolt (look for vertical rust streaks), dings in the rudder (from the outboard), loose pintles/gudgeons, and leaky sprits (simple to replace gasket). None of these are huge issues, but need to be attended to.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:13 pm

I'm a little late to this thread but thought I could add some information. Like Steve, I've been towing my boat around RI with a Tacoma 4x4 without a lot of trouble and am now using a 4Runner (Tacoma in SUV disguise)- both of which have the same V6 as your truck. Greg Morash once told me he towed his boat all the way to Florida with the Tacoma without a problem but he's braver than I.
As for the TRD supercharger, my dealership informs me it is a bolt on, fully guaranteed by Toyota, upgrade to your V6 which will add 75 HP to your engine and subtract about $4000 from your wallet (dealer installed).

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics