Chainplate Leaks?

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:05 pm

Rainwater is coming in through my stbd shroud chainplate. I seem to remember some advice somewhere from Jeff Johnstone (?) saying they should be rebedded every X years? Anyone know how this is done, can I do it without loosening the shrouds? Any help would be appreciated. I hope the core isn't exposed where the shrouds go through the deck, but I know it's possible.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:05 am

This is something you want to take care of very soon. Your concern over the core is right on. Every J boat I have owned or sailed on has needed to rebed the chain plates it is a serious problem with J boats. You will definitely need to take the chain plates out and will probably find a lot of wet balsa you will need to dig out until you find completely dry balsa, I wouldn't be surprised if this is at least 3-4 inches out all around. After you are sure that you have gone far enough you will need to fill in with epoxy with a little filler. If you use pure epoxy it will probably crack and water will be able to make its way in again. Then you can rebed with 3M 4200. Good luck.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:12 pm

This seems quite serious. As a first time boat owner, are there other areas that have similar problems? For example would the life line stanchion bases need the same process?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:04 pm

I'm in the market for a used J, and have now looked closely at 2 J/92s and 1 J/80. All three have suffered wet core because of leaky chainplates. The 92's had $4k worth of damage - incredible.

With that background, two questions:
1. If the moisture meter reads "wet" 8 inches away from the chainplates, would it be sufficient to dig out the core within 3-4 inches of the chainplates and fill with epoxy, or does the entire area of wet deck need to be reconstructed (cut-out and rebuilt)?

2. Is there a bedding procedure and compound that can be used to ensure that this doesn't happen?

Thanks,

Al

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:15 pm

It's worth having a surveyor check the moisture before you start digging.. My J80 is a 93 and it did have rust stains inside on the bulkheads, but it did not have a wet deck.
I removed the deck plate around the chainplates, dug out the old caulk and refilled with 3M-5200 and screwed the deck plates over the wet caulk. No more drips..

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:18 pm

Sting;
Stanchions, jib tracks and anything that is thru-bolted can also leak.. it's easy to check. crawl in the boat and look for rusty nuts..

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics