Pointing Higher

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2001 4:44 am

Can anybody help us we have problems going to windward.
We sail in Start bay off Dartmouth UK.
We purchased our J80 last June and are new to racing, but are keen to learn, Last summer we raced against 2 other J 80's who could point higher and faster than we could.
This seasons racing as just started, we race against a mixed fleet of boats with IRC ratings 1.018 - 0.888 . We have the same problem as last summer going to windward. As anybody any solutions to what we may be doing wrong. We down loaded North Sails & Shore Sails tuning guides.We are desperate to move up the fleet and show what a J 80 can do. Thanks Roger & Ryan

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:20 am

Roger and Ryan,

Tough to tell without hearing more specifics or seeing you sail but try trimming the jib a little tighter. Mainsail should be no tighter then the top batten even with the boom.Have you followed my Tuning Guides (I wrote both the North and Shore)?

What is your headstay length?

Jay Lutz
North Sails

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2001 8:13 am

I know the feeling only too well. I took me a long time to work out what to do. We sail in heavy air most of the time and the following may help:
The boat likes plenty of twist, keep the top batten open according to the sail guide (different wind strenght) and use more traveller then suggested. Up to 12 knots we keep the boom right on centre and then we only trop slightly. Keep the travel up as high as you can and use the backtstay to depower the rig. In heavy air I do vang sheeting (plenty of vang and play with the main) as soon as you trop that traveler to far the pointing goes. Backstay outhaul vang cuninghum, but nearly overdo it with the traveler.
To point high you need to build speed, so bear of a bit 1or 2 o increase you speed, use the lift from the foils to point a bit higher, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Fast first, then try high, and fast first and a bit higher.

I find the j/80 easy to sail, but to sail well is a challenge. Plenty of practice, check you basic tuning. If you bought an older boat you may still have the old (shorter) headstay lenght. I increase mine by 50mm and I now much better for my conditions.
If you want more detailed information let me know. What condition do you sail 80% of the time.

Regards

Bob von Felten
#95 Cafe Latte Down Under

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:16 am

we are one of the first boats in spain, and have done pretty well, when we show up to line on time, as we are leading the series after the first two races.WE have been very lucky on the starts. However we don't have much time on the boat and could use some easy reference points to base tuning on. We feel slow in anything over 12-13kts. also please stART WITH FAIRLEAD SETTINGS. I feel that our upwind sailing is well below where it should be.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:20 pm

I have found that a new properly designed mainsail can make a huge difference in terms pointing and upwind speed (at least in light air.) I replaced my old main with a new one. As far as I can understand most of the difference is in a substantially fuller shape (15-16% camber in lieu of 12% of the old one). The old sail was not bad to my eye but now I realize it was definitely too flat. Still looking good but too flat. Is out there anybody else with similar experience ?

Regards
Massimo

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:49 pm

We've had the same upwind problem when we started racing last year. We had both lack of speed and lack of sharp angle. We also found out (see Bob's message) the boat needs a lot of twist in both sails and we also overdo the traveler, even in strong winds (>20 kts). And keep the speed! The J80 loves to be continuously trimmed. Only steering won't do the job.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning