Sprit pole upside down

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:48 pm

I recall a discussion on the old forum last year about this time regarding improperly drilled holes on Y2K boats. On mine (hull # 267) the sprit pole launches with the eye upside down. The hole in the aft end of the pole is drilled at 3 o'clock (when viewed facing forward with the pole right side up).

I've tried TPI for a fix but they are no help whatsoever.

My recollection of the fix was to drill another hole 180 degrees opposite the existing pole at the aft end. This makes intuitive sense as it would seem to cause the pole to launch right side up. Is this correct?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2001 9:31 pm

David-

I put my boat together last fall-its hull #334 a 2001 model. After reading last years forum here's what I did:

1.) Align the pole in the proper orientation.
2.) Install a large fair lead on the side of the pole-lengthwise at the rear. This should be a stainless steel fairlead large enough to tie off the deployment line and the bungee. I used bent washers on the inside of the tube so that it would not pull out. Two holes large enough to fit the bungee/line tails through and knotting the ends would also work.
3.) I also had to move the block for the bungee more towards the center of the boat. I believe it was about an inch. This is the block on the bulkhead behind the pole.
4.) After doing this the deployment line and bungee was rigged as described in the directions.
5.) The bungee and deployment line pull alongside the length of the pole. It can't twist.

The easiest thing to do is to print out this message, take it to your boat and step through it. When you do it will all make sense. This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a 1,000 words-just don't know how to do it in the forum.

I have had no problems with this arrangement. No twisting, etc. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:58 pm

Thanks Boomerang. Interestingly, the owners guide supplied with my boat does not refer to attaching bungee cord on the sprit pole, although bungee was supplied with my boat. I have heard that some owners sail without bungee on the sprit pole, using the tack line to bring in the pole. One advantage of this apparently is that the pole won't bang as hard on the bulkhead when retracted.

What do you mean when you refer to installing the fairlead "on the side of the pole - lengthwise at the rear"?

Is it at 9 o'clock when viewed facing forward? By lengthwise do you mean the fitting is installed so that the opening of the fairlead is facing forward and aft so that the pole control line and bungee can lead aft along the pole, through the fairlead and be stopper-knotted at the aft end of the fairlead?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2001 8:56 am

What I did on my boat(#344) was to drill another hole 180 degrees opposite of the other hole. I then rigged the pole up using this new hole and used the old hole to tie the bungee off to. So far this has worked fine.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning