Main "resting" position when not sailing

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:12 pm

Hi there
just got delivery of my brand new #478. Simply fantastic but...
having main on slides, I noticed that after having dropped the sail, the "resting" position of the main looks too much "high" due to the location of the locking pin for the slides (such that the top slide will remain at the same elevation of the jib top cam cleat...too high!). This makes it difficult even to cover the sail in the area close to the main, unless the pin is removed which off course is not desirable (slides come out). My mast is from Sparcraft France. Question : is the Hall mast fitted in a similar way or in other words have you out there experienced a similar problem ? Suggestions appreciated.

Ciao

Massimo Polo
#478 "She Lovely"
Italy

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:25 pm

Massimo,

My main is on slides (Hall spar) and the head rests fairly high up the mast as well. The previous owner had a custom cover made that seals above the resting position with a fairly long zipper/velcro combo on the leading edge and plenty of room behind the mast for the sail folds.

Ciao e migliore di fortuna,
Chip Vollers
#257 "Gizmo"

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:52 am

Massimo-

My boat, hull #334 has a Hall spar and the same issue. The problem is that the slot for the slugs is too high up from the gooseneck and therefore the pin holds the slugs and the sail too high.

I had two plates machined that screw into each side of the mast along the wide part of the slot. Each plate is about 8 inches long and is retained with five screws each. The slot left by the plate is the same width as the slot in the mast. Once the main is on the boat I attach the machined plates and the slugs cannot come out. When the main is dropped they slide down on top of each other and much easier to cover up.

It sounds like a hassle but is really worth it.

Scott

"Boomerang"

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:48 am

You can cover the slot with by screwing old batten lengths over the open part. It is probably not as elegant a solution as having plates machined but is cheaper and easier. You can probably get by with fewer screws as well

Sail Newport was using batten covers on their J-22's the last time I checked.

-Tak

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:58 pm

I wonder if adding plates on the mast is "Class Legal" for OD.

Most folks roll the main for short term boom storage. This requires you to remove the slugs from the track and the sail sits nicely on the boom and the stock cover will work fine.

For long term storage, most folks roll the sail and store below decks. This has the added advantage increasing sail life because even a good sail cover will allow UV rays to pass thru.

Regards,
Greg

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:59 pm

Massimo,

I thought the same thing about mine #340, the J/80 mast slot and pin is much higher than previous boats I've owned. I'm too lazy to roll it every time, so I was concerned about being able to use the mainsail cover. I contacted Hall Spars about it and they offered to provide machined covers to fit flush in the slot on both sides that I could remove at the beginning/end each season so I wouldn't need the pin at all, but they said it would take 4-6 weeks, so I never bothered. But I found that if I flaked it neatly, while it rides pretty high, the cover will fit over the sail without a problem. Yours might fit after all too if you flake neatly (alternating side to side with each flake). Good luck...

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning