Continuous A-sail sheet length

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2001 5:20 pm

I'm a new J-80 owner and am interested in replacing existing A-sail sheets with a continuous one. Can anyone advise? Thanks. Tom McMahan Madison WI.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:42 pm

I have one that came with my boat. It is in excellent shape with tapered ends. I will sell it to you at a nice price. I opted for a system that Layline put together for me. Two sheets with eye-splices at the end and a 2 foot strop that connects both so that you only have one attachment to the clew of the chute. High Tech stuff that cost little over 200 bucks. It is very slick. There has been some discussion about the continuous sheet snagging up in the cockpit and the inability to quickly run a line around if you get a bad tangle or foul-up. Some folks love them guess. You can try mine and see if you like them....

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:30 am

Dear Tom,
In praticing for the 2002 Worlds we tried continous sheets. I liked them, but they cannot be shorter than Indidual sheets. The Key to an A sail is to be able to float the clew past the headstay in a jibe. Anything that holds up the ease of the old sheet is slow. We found that seperate sheets were easier to clear when cleaning up, and tended not to twist up over use, with a lot of jibes. So after testing we have setteled on seperate sheets.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:41 am

Except for light air, I use a 104 ft length of 5/16" spectra/polypro line with a 2 ft spectra strop attached to the center for tying onto the clew. This system is light weight, not too expensive and works great! Never hangs on the forestay and keeps the clew far enough away too.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:33 am

is it better to use a medium size diameter line for the spin sheet that doesn't weigh a lot or is it better to use very thin sheets in light air. I have had some problems with the thin lines getting caught in the blocks. Are there any solutions to this problem? Are there any types of sheets that work better?

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning