Light displacement boat and heavy air sailing

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 15, 2001 8:54 am

I have been using my J/80 for 2years now and 90% of our conditions are 18-22knots with gusts.
I have learned in the meantime to depower my rig and flatten the sails and are reasonable confortable to sail in the groove uwpind in this conditions. We find it very hard keep the boat down and suffer a lot of leeway.
Last week we had a drifter 5-6 knots and with 7 people on the boat we blitzed the whole fleet?????

What does that tell you. We are hopelessly overpowered for 90%of our situation.
What is the answer?
Reduce sailplan radically or start to add some more ballast down at the bulb?

I tired different rig settings, I crank the backstay on so hard I need to replace the harken fittings every 6 months, I use vang sheeting and I am still frustrated.

What do I REALLY NEED so I can enjoy the J/80 in heavy air? Another 200lbs lead added to the bulb or a radical recut of the main? or Both

Once I up to 15knots of wind I simply run out of gear....everthing full on.

Please Help

Bob

PS: I love the boat, I just have to be able to depower the boat upwind. Downwind we roar with a 70% blast reacher.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:19 pm

I have single handed my J80 in 15-20K with no trouble at all. Jib in as tight as can be and flattened main mostly luffing. I sail it just like I sailed my very first boat a 16 ft daysailor.Probably trimming a little on the lazy jib sheet would further help depower the main.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 16, 2001 2:35 pm

Bob,

Used to be we had a class rule that required reef points in the main. I know... "J-Boats don't reef", but I have seen it used with little detriment, mostly by the J-World boats at Key West.

I don't think I would consider reefing at 15knots, especially if I had seven people on board, but it starts to make sense at 20+.

My new main has reef points and is properly reinforced to make them serviceable. Don't know if I'll actually use them racing but it's nice to know that I have the option.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning