Mast Step Adjuster

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:27 am

has anyone thought about an adjustable mast step....much like the E22's and J24's??

class rules don't really talk about this.

kenny harvey
J80 Overachiever

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:04 pm

Kenny,

In closed class rules as we have in the J80 class, if it is not specifically allowed in the rules, it is not allowed. I think this would be the case with an adjustable mast step. However, I urge you to submit this to the technical committee for review.

Michael Lague

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:24 pm

I would like to suggest this. Looking into loop holes to gain speed would be a bad thing for a class like this. This is not a development type of class boat. Learn to sail with what you have. Look at your telltails more instead of thinking "is my mast step in the right place"......
Find a happy all around butt placement and leave it there.
If it is a case of your main not looking right call a sailmaker..

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:19 am

Dear Kenny,

I think the comments of DNA J80 are spot on. I am quilty too of wanting to change little things, but really we should leave the boat as it is and improve the skills. The simplicity is what attracted us in the first place, so why make it more complicated. There is enough development class boats out there you can do whatever you want to do.
I think the spirit is to leave it as it is, unless it is specifically approved by the commitee.

On my boat I noticed that different crew with differnt skill levels can make a BIG difference wih the existing boat as it is.

Regards

Bob

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:56 am

my point with the adjustable step was to make it easier to adjust...we know where we want to put it for what conditions. we are looking for any eaiser way to do it using a screw (that can be locked) rather than slacking the rigging and pulling on the butt with line/winches to move it fore & aft. I wouldn't call an adjustable step "a move towards a development class"...as it stands right now the step is adjustable fore and aft...it's just a major P.I.A. to move right now. Moving the step around is just as basic as playing with rig tension and forestay length.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:47 am

Point taken.
I believe that you can take a happy medium and leave it as it is. I played around with forestay lenghts, mast butt position and rig tension.
After using the boat for 3 years I have to say that I have found the "optimum tuning" and the only change I do know is adjust the rig tension for the blowy part of the season.
Of course I have to admit that I only do club racing in mixed fleets and lack the direct competions from other J/80 boats, the boat is quite fast for what I use it and I am very happy with it.

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions