Nominations of new class officers

Class Association Business

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:09 pm

As I come to the last days of my term as the class president I would like to state that it has been a pleasure serving a wonderful bunch of sailors from all over the USA, I have met a lot of you personally and enjoy many new friendships.
NOW, I would like to take the lead and nominate Mike Lattimor of Fort Worth boat club for the class presidency
Mike is the current fleet #5 captain, He has all the skills needed to move the class forward. He has been instrumental in making the southern circuit grow bigger and personally participated in most stops for the last 3 years.
Mike is a strong supporter of youth sailing programs in the Dallas Ft Worth area.
I belive he is the best man for the job.
Uzi Ozeri

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Following Uzi's lead I would like to nominate Kerry Klingler of Larchmont, NY for the J80 Class Vice President position. Kerry remains very active within the Class. He has won both World and North American Championships, authored several helpful "how to do its" for the J80, and, of course, has been a leader in sail design through his work at UK-Halsey. Kerry can apply his sailing knowledge effectively to further advance our Class Association.
Thanks to all who have supported us on the Board for these last two years. It has been fun and very rewarding. Bob Knowles

[Posted by: Bob Knowles
]

Postby g_buck » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:25 am

I think that both of these guys would be great for the class. Mike is very active and a great guy for the job. Kerry has been very active in our class over many years and I believe that both of them will serve us well.
Greg Buck
US Class Measurer
g_buck

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:21 pm

Mike is the perfect man for the job. I am sure he will serve the class well.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 pm

With respect to the good intentions of all, I think you would be putting Kerry in a position with significant conflict of interest. Its best to keep the sailmakers out of the governance of the class.

[Posted by: Bob Lemaire
]

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:03 pm

As respects Kerry's "conflict of interest" I don't see one. As I see it, the class officers do not rule the class, they manage, administer and promote. Kerry's involvement will be good for the class, particularly in the Northeast where their is great opportunity to expand the fleet.

[Posted by: Jamie
]

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Kerry knows what I am talking about. By now I had expected he would have declined such a nomination. Has anyone told him that he has been nominated?

[Posted by: Bob Lemaire
]

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:09 am

What is the conflict of interest? In the Lightning Class there has been many class officers that work(ed) in the boating industry. The current class secretary is such a person. There has been no issues

[Posted by: TopNotch
]

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Jumping on the bandwagon, I would like to nominate Kevin Hayes as treasurer. Kevin is part of the gigantic Fleet #1 on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire that recently hosted a fantastic J80 North American Championship. He is the co-owner of Gostosa, a boat that has recently done quite a bit of traveling in the North East circuit.

Thanks for everyone's help and support over the last 2 years the current board has been in office. It has been a pleasure serving the class.

[Posted by: Jason Balich
]

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the great work as class Treasurer. I second the nomination for Kevin for the high paying job!

[Posted by: Matt
]

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:23 am

Kudos and many thanks to our outgoing Class Officers for their hard work and guidance over the past two yeras - job well done!

The strength and the future of our class lie in the representation set forth in our class constitution, which was ratified by an overwhelming majority (95%) vote of the class members in 2002. Several pertinent sections are excerpted below. In order to allow for the democratic process to be carried out, we need to set a timetable for nomination (or volunteering) of candidates for the Executive Committee Offices, for the candidates to present their views and qualifications and subsequent discussion, and then finally a firm date for voting. I encourage participation and representation by members with some geographic diversity. The fleets on the West Coast are growing and becoming more active, and there are several regional pockets of resurgence. How about some of you newer members getting involved? Nominations? Volunteers? Also, have we had a call for bids to host the NA's for the next 2 years? The Board of Governors should address this and should begin making plans as fleets and clubs begin planning out their 2007 calendars.

As Vice Chairman of the International J/80 Class Association, I appreciate the support of a strong J/80 Class Association USA. Anyone interested in getting involved can feel free to contact me for information, help, inquiries, suggestions, and even some badgering.

Come on guys (and gals), let's get this thing rolling!

<<From the J/80 Class Association USA Constitution:

9.5 The Executive Committee USA shall include a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary, elected to two-year terms by the Members on or about December1st of each even-numbered year and shall take office the following January 1st. The Executive Committee USA shall also include an appointee of the Copyright Holder.

and

8 BOARD OF GOVERNORS

8.1 The Board of Governors (“Boardâ€

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:58 pm

To answer one of Steve's questions, Fleet 11 in Southern California and California Yacht Club in Marina del Rey, CA are planning to host the 2008 J/80 North Americans. Pending class approval, of course. California Yacht Club offers among the best on and off the water race management in the country. CYC is a three-time recipient of the St. Petersburg Trophy awarded by US Sailing to the overall best-run regatta of the year (congratulations to CCYC, this years recipient). CYC has hosted numerous World, Olympic and North American Championships. This year we hosted the Laser Radial World Championships and J/105 North Americans. Next years regattas include the Star Class Olympic Trials, J/24 North Americans and CFJ Nationals. The same team that has organized these events is looking forward to hosting ours in 2008.
Sailing conditions in Marina del Rey during August are nearly perfect for a championship event. The 10-15 kt. sea breeze typically fills in by noon under warm and sunny skies.
-Curt Johnson
Fleet 11

[Posted by: Curt Johnson
]

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm

As your current class secretary, I have enjoyed serving the past 2 years. I would like to nominate Brian and/or Kristin Robinson for the secretary position on the board. I feel they will do an exemplary job.
Bernie Nauta

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:48 pm

It is my understanding that Mike Lattimore may be withdrawing his nomination for president. If so, I would like to nominate Steve Hammerman for the position. He has tirelessly served the class longer than anyone and will, I am sure, do an outstanding job.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby derek_jackson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:50 pm

Good call Chris. Steve Hammerman would be a fine choice.
derek_jackson

Next

Return to Class Association Business