Sailing Anarchy Blasts J/80

Class Association Business

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby rob_m » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:26 pm

As a regular reader of Sailing Anarchy I was pretty p..sed off today upon reading the article about the new Flying Tiger 7.5. This is what SA had to say about the J/80 in comparison to the FT 7.5:

"Another market that this boat could really impact is what I'll call the “training wheelsâ€
rob_m

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm

SA will bash anything and everything that doesn't feed their 1,00 lb ego. They are peed off that the J 80's had one of the larger fleets there nd the FT 10's and 7.5's no showed. Take it with a grain of salt. They will find another class to flame in a few weeks.

[Posted by: Steve LeMay
]

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey all, yes I agree with Rob, USA 340 but want to say something else. I have been looking to purchase a J 80 for some time now. Unfortunately everyone here in the good old USA is way overpricing their boats. This may have something to do with the Worlds and NA's being on the east coast and close in timing. That said, take a look at 80's for sale overseas, huge disparity in price. Occasionally, very occasionally, a 80 comes up for sale and is sold immediately. Gosh I wonder why that is. Look at yachtworld.com, this site. These people are not going to help the class. I continue looking, maybe will buy one of the special boats built for the worlds seems like a fair price but expensive. J 80 sellers, wake up, nobody is going to buy your overpriced boats, time to get real and help the class stay strong with new blood.

Postby hitide » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I see lots of boats for sale on the class website and Yachtworld. What do you call a fair price? Where are you located?
hitide

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Look at overseas prices, boats actively for sale here in the US now have been for sale for months and months, why do you think that is? What is on the market now is old, poorly equipped, prepared and not ready to race competitively. Actually there are two 1993 boats on the class site that seem within the realm of reality.
If you care to do your homework a well maintained, equipped with good condition racing sails, good outboard, some electronics and bottom, keel and rudder fairing should be asking around $25k, and sell maybe for a little less. Here are a couple of links to boats very well prepaired, set up, great sails etc. etc. These boat prices are comparable to 80's selling overseas.
http://www.sailingtexas.com/sj80100.html 1998 sale pending approx $29k in the UK

ALL of the above links are boats which were maintained well above average condition, equipment, sails etc. etc.

There are many more examples if you care to actually look. What did you pay for your boat and when did you buy it?
If you think today's prices are on target, maybe you should become a contributing editor at SA, I think you would fit right in.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:21 pm

Ohh and the FT 7.5 sounds a lot like a Chinese copy of the Melges 24 How can they compare the two. The FT and the J80 are more then a thousand pounds apart in weight, keel depth is not even close, type of keel is totally different and so on. I remain under whelmed by the FT 10 its a dog upwind in a breeze and totally out of control in a breeze down wind. FT anything = "Throw Away Boat" Look at the J 80's, early hull numbers are still winning major regattas. I seriously doubt any of the FT boats will even be afloat in 17 years from now. Not to mention the J 80 has around 1300 boats produced to date. That speaks volumes!!! Catch us if you can FT boats.
Now not to beat this to death but how many of you reading this would take a FT 7.5 well offshore. I already know the answer it was a rhetorical question.

Postby cbulger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 pm

The pricing/supply of used boats was tough for me to navigate as well. I looked at all of the advertised boats and felt that they were $10K over priced relative to new boats and the 8 "almost new" boats that were purchased on the east coast over the last 18 months. It is a pretty inefficient market - I even lost the "new" boat in Sarasota despite offering $3K more than the eventual buyer because the dealer couldn't decide what price was fair. It's an "old" product, dealers are confused and still hurting badly from the downturn.

I was ready to give up on the class when an old friend called and mentioned that he was selling his 6 month old J 80. If that hadn't happened - I'd be sailing a Viper.

My opinion - this 19 year old class has lots of life and J Boats would be well served to sort out competitive pricing and energize marketing for the 20th anniversary. Delivering new boats with trailers for $50K should be the goal. Sure, I'd lose a little "value" in the short run - but that price could attract new buyers to a boat that provides 90% of the performance of a Melges, better amateur competition, and at least 400% better ratio of sailing hours per $ or per maintenance time.
cbulger

Return to Class Association Business