J80 PHRF Rig?

Racing Tools & Techniques

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:51 pm

Maybe I'm crazy but the Swedes might be on to something. Notice they allow J80s to be retrofitted with symmetrical kites, poles and have their lifelines removed for match racing events. I would like to move up from the J22, but love the pole and lack of lifelines. Sailing here in windy Corpus Christi we have only one sprit boat J105 racing PHRF. Most our courses are W/L which favors straight downwind surfing. The occasional J80 that ventures out never does well against pole boat, like our J22.

What do you 80 wonks think about modifying the 80 to include a pole and 135 genoa? What's you guess on the PHRF rating + or - ?

[Posted by: maddawg
]

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:12 pm

pole : too mess for me...
135 : OK its a MUST in my light air area !

[Posted by: massimo
]

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:02 pm

Here on Western Long Island Sound (NY & CT) the PHRF rating is 135 for the standard rig, and drops to 114 with a 135% genoa, and 111 with a 150%. Our PHRF races are also non-spinnaker, straight windward/leeward and are often in a very light breeze. A whisker pole and a larger genoa does help a lot downwind.
Kent H
#444 "Sparky"
Riveerside CT

[Posted by: Kent Holden
]

Postby sailor44 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 am

I think the boat would do quite well with a sym kite. Why don't you try it and let me know here in Rockport how it works. I sail PHRF here in the Rockport Yacht Club with my 80. Do not use the spin tho...

I wonder what the rating is without the kite...
sailor44

Return to Racing Tools & Techniques