2:1 jib sheeting

Racing Tools & Techniques

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:44 pm

does anyone have any thoughts on 2:1 jib sheeting? is it class legal? can you explain how to set it up? what kind/size blocks do you use on the clew of the jib? are there any other blocks you need to attach to the deck? i think i saw a posting in this forum once upon a time that acutally had some photos of this system in action but i cannot find it anymore. can you point me to it or put some photos on?

[Posted by: ARM
]

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:11 pm

I use harken air blocks attached with some super strong small caliber line that should come with the blocks. Layline knows just the right size. Tie off sheet on the car ring .
Since going 2:1 I have not used a winch handle in 3 years. Google "Kerry Klingler" and you should find his article on how he set up his boat.

[Posted by: Ken Lury
]

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:31 am

thanks. that's great. just spoke to harken who suggested the 40mm carboblock. 29mm might be to weak and 57mm too big. i will give it a try next time out.

]

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 am

getting mixed suggestions on size of blocks. i get the sense that the 29mm (H351) works fine. but Harken originally suggested 40mm but now indicated that 57mm (H2607) is best but no smaller than 40mm (H2651). if anyone else can weigh in i'd appreciate it.

]

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Dear ARM,
If you read the "2002 Rules Interpretations" on the USA web site, 2:1 jib blocks are specifically prohibited under class rules. I don't understand why the class does not review some of this policies and the policies on the use of clutches and line organizers...but there seems to be resistance at some level in the class. If on the other hand, if you sail PHRF...do as you please.
TopNotch

[Posted by: TopNotch
]

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:40 am

I am intriqued by the 2:1 jib sheet discussion as I am soon going to be adding a genoa for PHRF. Curious about the size (dia) of the sheets you are using with either the 40mm or 57mm blocks. Also wondering how much additional sheet length is required? Do you experience any problems when cross sheeting and using the 2:1?

[Posted by: Kent Holden
]

Return to Racing Tools & Techniques