Topping Lift

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby dpulzone » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:03 pm

Putting together a new(used) boat and I purchased a hard vang. Is there any reason to keep the topping lift?
dpulzone

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:32 am

None.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby jackal » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm

I have a 'Quick Vang' and just use the main halyard as a topping-lift in the Marina. There's no need that I can see for anything else.
www.teamjackal.com
jackal

Postby erik_wirta » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:59 am

I saw David Pulzone's post on the J80 forum regarding the utility of a topping lift and have a quick question. My French J80 hull FRA497 is a 2002 boat with a soft vang and no topping lift. I sail in Marseilles France in often very windy conditions with kids aboard, I need the topping lift for safe hoisting, dousing and reefing, not to mention preservation of the cockpit sole from boom damage during same. My question is the J80 topping lift rigged? I can't find any reliable description of the original setup, although in the owners manual there is a mention of a "Boom Lift" 30ft of 1/8'' wire, and a "Boom Lift Tail" 4ft of 1/4" polyester line.
Thanks
Erik
FRA497 DIVA
erik_wirta

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Erik,
I would think one could run a wire or line off the backstay where it splits and use it to hang the boom for the few minutes required to attach the main halyard.
Terry Burke
TopNotch French built #405

[Posted by: TopNotch
]

Postby erik_wirta » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:13 am

Thank you for your input, definitely the most straightforward, not to mention inexpensive solution. My current plan is a little more elaborate. I'm going with the 30ft 1/8 inch vinyl coated wire to the masthead, I will tail it with some 8mm polyester line which will feed into the end of the boom portside where the (absent) no. 2 reef line would normally be and then lead back to the free cam at the front of the boom. That way I have the halyard and my lift terminating next to each other. The reason for not going the wire from the Y route is because not only am I invariably shorthanded, but I fear it will cost me mainsheet control. When we have wind here (called the Mistral) we also have pretty impressive choppy wave action and in anything over beaufort 4 my Tohatsu 3.5 is useless to keep me in irons for hoisting, reefing or de-reefing. The procedure is usually to sail on a close reach and head up smartly without tacking to make the adjustment, falling off again as neccesary to keep headway, it's way too rock and roll to have the boom attached to the backstay or banging around in the cockpit and for this I feel the need for a fully functional topping lift.
erik_wirta

Return to Maintenance Topics