155% genoas

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:52 pm

We have both a 155 and a 135 both North 3DL. I find that the 135 is nicer to race with. I don't see much extra benefit from the 155. Also if the breeze builds I can carry the 135 longer. One question I have for Jay Lutz is at what wind speed should I take down the 135 and put up the jib, and what is the wind range on a 3DL 135?
DJ
derek_jackson

Postby gord175 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:23 pm

I have had my boat for 3 weeks now. I is my first boat since dinghy sailing as a teenager.(more years ago than I'd care to admit) The boat came with a couple of class jibs, a 135% and a 155% genoa. We have had light to very light airs and I have only used the class jib and the 135% so far. Results have been way beyond expectations. Two firsts, two seconds, a fourth and an eighth (the race where everything that could go wrong, did)

I don't know why we would need to go to the 155 and incur the extra penalty. We have been doing well upwind even against a Killing 37 that is famous for her pointing ability. So I am inclined to keep that sail in the bag for now.

The weather has been crappy but maybe next weekend I will give it a try and see what kind of a difference the big sail makes. But I am real happy with the performance so far.

Gord Cooke
262 "Quicker"
gord175

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:43 am

Sorry Derek. I haven't checked on the forum in a while. In my opinion, in handicap racing the boat needs an overlapping genoa unless the area you race has consistantly high winds (above 15). The determination as to the % size would have to do with the adjustment of the rating. For example, if you have a 3 or 6 second adjustment from a 135% to a 155% then for me the choice is a 135%. One thing to note is that we have had much success designing 135's (normal #2 genoa shape) as light #1's in shaping ...then get the 3 second advantage in rating.

A 3DL 135% has enough fibers in the sail to lift the boat so the real concern is being overpowered. So, if you have a max phrf crew on the rail you will be able to use the sail in 19-20 apparent (and kick butt). Less if sailing with 4, maybe up to 16-17AW. Remember if sailing in flat water the jib will come into play sooner.

Jay

[Posted by: Jay Lutz
]

Return to Sails & Tuning