Kevlar Main for PHRF???

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:40 am

Anyone using a kevlar main for beercans? Where did you get it? How expensive? How's the performance?
derek_jackson

Postby gord175 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:19 pm

I have one that came with the boat when I bought it last year. It is a Skelly. It's good in moderate to heavier air but in light air is too flat. If I ease off the tension the roach section to the inboard end of the battens kind of "falls in" producing a vertical wrinkle along the inboard end of the battens. I posted some pictures on sailing anarchy and the only comment was "get a new one". Quantum gave me a quote of 2600 ($CDN) or thereabouts.

gord
gord175

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Derek,
I have use UK Tape Drive with carbon tapes for the mainly PHRF racing I do with a matching 155 genoa. I have one year on the main and nearly two years on the genoa. We have been fast among the mix fleet of J/105s, Melges 24, J/29s, J/24s etc. especially in light wind. The main sail cost roughly the same as the OD dacron main. The main reason I wanted a PHRF main is that the OD main was designed with having only a jib and thus has a much deeper pocket so as to power up the main in the light. When using a genoa, the boat powers up at a much lower velocity of wind. My PHRF main looks like a bread board compared to the OD Main. But the flat sail allows us to carry the genoa into a stronger breeze. The J/105s, our main competition also sail with PHRF sails.
TopNotch #405

[Posted by: TopNotch
]

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Derek
A really good local source for this would be Boston Sails over in Mt Clemens. Mike does a great job designing sails and as a local source would do a great job supporting the boat.
Cheers,
Jeff

[Posted by: Jeff Bodkin
]

Postby crazy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:25 am

North 3 DL extremely fast, call North Seattle ask for Angus. We outpointed 2 O 30's in over 30 with a reef.

Crazy
crazy

Return to Sails & Tuning