New J80 Owner

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby evon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Hey guys I've recently purchased a fairly new J80. Any advice on stepping the mast or in general on keeping her in good shape ? I have the manuals but the seem overwhelming with tons of specialized tool requirements.
evon

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:16 am

Congrats on the purchase. You've joined a really great group of people who enjoy sailing hard and having fun. Where are you located? Hopefully, we can put you in touch with people in your area who can help you. Stepping the mast requires either a crane or a Gin Pole. When doing it, make sure someone is in charge of the forestay because you dont want to break it like I did 4 days before leaving for Key West. The boat is easy to rig and get sailing from trailer to splash, we can do it in under 2 hours. Let us know if you have any other specific questions.

Brian Robinson
Angry Chameleon #255

[Posted by: angry_chameleon
]

Postby evon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:42 pm

We're up in Rockland NY by the tapanzee bridge. We belong to a club with a mast lift dock and to be honest I've only ever stepped a mast on a CB daysailer, which is pretty easy. I just don't want to do something dumb that causes an acident. Any words of wisdom about blocking the mast ? Or getting it through the hull without incident ?

Keywest wow , now that's something we'd really aspire to. Do you transport the boat yourself?

Thanks
evon

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:23 am

The mast is not really that hard to handle, as long as you have the proper equipment (crane or gin pole). Getting it through the deck is fairly straightforward, but you will want someone belowdecks to guide the butt onto the base. As far as blocking at the deck, there are several options. French-built boats come with a rubber mast collar which slides down into the gap between the mast and deck. US (TPI) hulls typically use a rubber wedge cut to fit the gap. This part is available from J Boats or I may have one in my garage. The third alternative is a commercial product called SparTite which is a two part liquid which can be poured around the mast after stepping and will eventually harden into a permanent collar. Spartite is pricey and a bit tricky to use, but provides good support and minimizes leakage. It does, however, need UV protection in the form of a mast boot or paint. Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby evon » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm

I assume the blocking was there on the boat where it was originally setup. Can I use this ? Or what can you recomend in a bind since I don't know what to use. I assume the boat is US built from the original receipt.
evon

Return to Sails & Tuning