Understanding tuning

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby gord_cooke » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Forgive the double post but I put this inside another thread and I wanted it here:

Help me understand something.

All the tuning guides show increasing tensions as the wind builds. In my understanding, increased tension in the lowers and intermediates pull on the middle sections of the mast and decrease bend. Decreased bend puts more material into the sail resulting in deeper draft, more power etc.

Isn't this contrary to what you need in heavier wind, i.e., more bend, flatter sail and a depowered main. Are the numbers in the tuning guides "proportional" so that the cap stay increases more than the lowers and intermediates?

I ask because I am struggling in heavier winds. I kill upwind in light stuff but now, as we approach
August, wind strength typically increases and my performance decreases upwind. I need to understand as I try to find the optimal settings for my boat and sail.

gord
gord_cooke

Postby beauly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Wow! I want to know what rig tune you are using for "killing upwind in light stuff". We are problems moving up wind in light air, when the wind blows we blast along, in light wind we are not doing so well.
beauly

Return to Sails & Tuning