Blocks for spin sheets

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2001 10:59 am

The far-aft blocks for the spin sheets that are stock on the J80 don't seem beefy enough to me. The ratchet blocks, by contrast, seem plenty big. What size are you all using for the aft blocks? Have you switched them for larger ones?

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2001 2:58 pm

Mike,
Stock blocks work fine. Don't see any reason to change unless the are worn out. They can handle the loads.

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2001 6:34 am

I use mine in heavy air quite a lot and find them ok. I did replace the aft blocks with same size airblocks. Just for the fun of it.

Another trick I learnt for heavy air sailing is to move the ratchet blocks aft (opposite site!!)and the aft block forward. If rigged this way get quite a bit more ratchet action, because the sheet wraps around the ratchet nearly 180 o where on the forward position the sheet wraps only the ratchet 90 o. I hope it makes sense, works very well in heavy air and tired arms.....

Regards

Bob

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2001 8:10 pm

Bob,

We used to run the ratchets at the back but found they didn't run free enough during jibes (even the automatic ones). In heavy air we just take a turn around the winch, that also solves the annoying problem of the sheet accidently cleating from time to time.

I use big three inch blocks at the back - they seem to run easier and are better on the sheets.

Postby Guest » Sat May 12, 2001 4:08 am

Yes, good point I think the 3inch blocks are better and help to run the old sheet easier.

Well anything which helps to make the jibe easier is worth it.

Just ordered 3 inch carbon blocks...

Regards

Bob

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques