Adding PHRF Sails and Lead Location

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:57 am

I am thinking about adding a 135 - 139 % genoa. I currently have PHRF tracks installed that were used for a 150%. I think the tracks were factory installed. Can I use existing tracks with the smaller genoa? Thanks.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:47 am

FWIW. I have a 155% and proper lead position is almost all the way aft on the track, just inches from the winch. So I would think you could fly a 135-139% further forward on the factory tracks. But hopefully you'll get an answer from someone who has done so.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:11 am

I am thinking of a little bigger sail then the 100 class jib. What is the biggest sail you can fly form the original jib track?
Does anybody know?

Regards

Bob

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:32 am

We have raced our J80 for 4 years in the OD configuration at a PHRF rating of 120. Most of our racing is evening in dying breezes. When the wind was 10kn+ we were fast. Below 8, it got to be a push, below 6 - forget it.

This year we did our research and bought a larger headsail. We got a North 139% Genoa cut to work on the furler. What a difference - we turned into a rocket! I can't believe the speed difference - the boat has serious drive at low speeds. Where we could barely keep up with a S27.9 with a 150% we are now pushing the J29's really hard. The new sail moved us from the back of the fleet in lite air to reliable 2-3-4 place finishes.

The rating penalty we took was 3 secs per mile. The way I understand the PHRF rule, 140-150% is 6 secs, below 140 is 3 secs. That is also what I got from most of the sail makers too.

We get pretty powered up with the 139. I think that a 155 might be too much unless you do alot of drifters. However, someone who has one or has sailed both might be better able to comment.

I can't believe that we wasted all this time without this sail. With this, we have boat speed to burn!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:28 am

I'm a newbie at this, but our experience was much like John's (except that we don't consistently finish 3rd). I added a 150% per a recommendation from Jay Lutz. Our first time with it was 2 weeks ago. The wind was 10 mph. Our speed on a close reach was shocking. Close hauled too was much faster and with great power. In the 12 mph puffs, however, we were at the limit of our ability to keep the boat on its feet without easing the main sheet. But in the dying breezes we get in the evening, I think the 150% was a better choice than a 135%. If you have more consistent air in the 10 plus range, a 135 may be the right choice.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:03 pm

As others have suggested, I think the choice of an overlapping Genoa boils down to realistically evaluating what your predominant racing conditions are AND how your local PHRF committee handicaps - then making the best compromise decision.

Not all PHRF committees make the less than 140%/greater than 140% Genoa distinction. In these areas, any sail greater than the class jib will cost you 6 sec/mile.

As has been posted many times before, the boats using the 150% report that they are all through with the sail at 8 knots true windspeed. Boats using 135-139% report comfortably being able to carry the sail up to 13-14knots true.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:36 am

Ok,
can anybody tell me whether you fly the 135 % genova from the standard track or you need the same track like for a 155%

Thanks

Bob

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:30 pm

We fly our 139 from the standard track added at the factory. Seems to work fine. I suppose that maybe fiddling with them might be optimal, but we already had them on the boat so we used them instead of drilling more holes.

The sale shape was fine, the main backwind was acceptable etc...

John

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:11 pm

Question for John.....what were the wind ranges for the 139% ? How many crew needed to keep the boat down? Is this the answer to successful PHRF racing? Thanks.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:40 pm

I don't have wind instruments, but i would put the range on the 139 at about 0-10/12kn realistically. There is lots of power in the 8-10kn range that we didn't have before.

I think the term in an earlier post was 'shocking'. Excellent description.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques