Rules!

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:54 pm

Does anyone know or ever heard of any software packages for rules (PHRF or otherwise)? Not ones just list out the rules, but ones that go into deep explanation of them?
Like a "Javelin" I want to get right to the point of the matter...

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:06 pm

I'm not aware of any software packages that explain the rules; however, there are several good books available that go into detailed explanations. These are usually updated with each subsequent rewriting of the rules, but I haven't seen the latest versios yet. Copied below is a short list taken from a Sailing World recommended list several years ago. There are probably more current versions of each available now.

Dave Perry, Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing 1997-2000

The new racing rules may be simpler, but the variety of troubles you can get into is still as complex as ever. To sort it all out, Dave Perry, a champion sailor, senior judge and member of US SAILING’s Appeals Committee, has updated his celebrated rules text to produce Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing 1997-2000. Published by US SAILING, the strength of this text lies in the same elements that have made Perry’s past books a must for racing sailors: lucid explanations, entertaining Brad Dellenbaugh illustrations, and a reader-friendly question-and- answer format. For example: “I heard that there are no more ‘third party protests’ allowed: is this true?â€

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques