Solo phrf

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:15 pm

I have been racing "Critical Mass"#150 phrf for two years. Obtaining crew has always been a problem and has now reached crisis. I am thinking of racing solo in the phrf events. Our club has spinnaker and JAM divisions. Any opinions on which division, sail configurations, ?installing reefing line and any other solo tips would be appreciated.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2001 10:05 pm

Tip # 1...

KEEP THE COOLER CLOSE TO THE REAR!

.. or buy a real long tiller extension

Jeff
"Sting"

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:50 pm

Bring your boat up to the Pamlico for the fall! We'll help you get crew. In reading your past posts you really seem to have your head in the right place as far as having fun vs "kill,kill,kill!", and as such I'm sure you'd quickly develop some great crew.
E-mail me for more info. I don't feel you'd be pleased with soloing a J-80.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:57 pm

I have raced J SPOT #103 singlehanded, its not ideal but it beats not sailing. I have done it non-spinnaker and spinnaker, and generally you are going to lose in non-spinnaker. Off the wind in NS you need a 150, poled out if possible, which I am unable to do, to stay with the boats with their 170's, but then when you turn the mark you will be overpowered upwind. If you go NS with the Class Jib you have no power downwind unless its blowing hard. If you go spinnaker, in light air you can certainly do well. Very few boats can hang with a J80 in light air. In medium air the problem is not getting the chute up, or sailing it, the difficult part is getting it down.
I use a reefing line led to the main winch. I also tie the tiller off with a continuous line led from the fwd. end of the tiller aft to the spinnaker block padeye, across the boat to the padeye and back to the tiller end. You can adjust the tension in this line for different conditions. With a little tension on this line the boat will track upwind on its own, giving you a chance to get to the cooler. I once went 14 miles without touching the tiller!
Try it out, plan everything in advance, once it goes wrong it goes quickly.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques