Major spinnaker mess

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:39 am

It makes a good story now that I am home.
Yesterday I went out alone as usual . Blowing 20+.
Decided to try setting the chute by myself
to get that incredible planing rush.
By the time I was finished messing up, the tack was wrapped around the furler base and the head was wrapped around the top of the forestay. releasing the halyard and tack line did no good-I WAS in deep ---. Broaching every few minutes.Jibing back and forth trying to get it unwrapped. Finally the thing we always dread happened. The head shackle released(fortunately I do not tape it as I should). I was never so happy to see the chute in the water. I may try flying the the chute solo again in heavy weather, but not for a long time. I wish I could say I learned something which will help in the future, but all I learned was it probably is not a great idea to fly the chute alone in strong winds.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:28 pm

Get a sock for an old chute for solo heavy air. The J 105 guys do it all the time with a much bigger chute.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:27 am

Like you story,
I hope you had a good rush when you where planing.
I suggest you may consider some crew, just for the over 25 knot stuff.

Just in case.....

Enjoy

Bob von Felten

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:32 am

Ken,
Did you rudder humm....
I install a custom made rudder (half the weight) and the hum noise disapeared.
Now I using the standard rudder and the humming noice is shocking as soon as I start plaining.

Does anybody know what do do?

Yes I broke my custom made extra light rudder in a strong gust.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:01 pm

Bob,

I've experienced the hum at anything over 11 knots (not sure if the hum goes away at a speed over 14...). Haven't a clue as to how to fix or even if I should fix. Other thoughts on the subject?

Chip
Gizmo #257

Postby Guest » Mon May 06, 2002 5:07 pm

Ah, the dreaded hummmmmmm. On Javelin, I faired the keel & rudder to minimum exit thickness. Then I cut off 1 corner of the trailing edge at a 45 degree angle, just enough to allow the flow on 1 side to always "lead" the flow on the other side. The hum comes from cavitation behind the trailing edges that is filled by water from either side in rapid oscilations from side to side. By allowing one side to always lead the other side the oscilation is stopped, and the hum goes away. Javelin does not hum. It ROARS, quietly.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques