Spinnaker Halyard Question...

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:38 am

I sail on a UK based J80 called Aqua J - I have a fair bit of experience racing 30' conventional yachts (and dinghies once upon a time) but I'm new to sportsboats . We have the Spinnaker halyard cleated by a RWO style captive single roller and cleat fitting just below the halyard exit on the mast.

This means that when the kite is hoisted someone needs to be at the mast doing "the dance of the sugar plum fairies" in full big boat style...I suppose this is not so bad on a bear away set, but do a gybe set and they end up stuck on the leeward side behind the boom. This somehow doesn't seem very "sportsboat" to me!

I was looking at the Melges 24 and they have a swivel jammer for the spi halyard exiting under the boom which seemed a more trendy & usable solution.

So the question is: What do forum members consider to be the most efficient means of hoisting and dropping the J80 spinnaker with regards to halyard use/position?

Many Thanks,

Peter

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:07 pm

my boat came rigged with the spin halyard run through a couple of turning blocks and coming into the cockpit, essentially right above the sprit outhaul. We hoist from there. A lot of the time our hoists are examples of the american phrase "*******'s and elbows" but you can get it pretty seamless with some practice.

I am not yet convinced that the mast cleat is class legal, although its use is widespread.

Steve
Ghoast Dancing

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:42 am

My boat came rigged as described by Steve, with the halyard running back to the cockpit. The problem in heavy air is that it is nearly impossible to get the chute hoisted quickly enough with all the friction and the inefficiency of pulling horizontally instead of vertically. I have since mounted a cleat on the mast and find the hoists are much faster and cleaner. We rarely do gybe sets, but you are correct that it becomes messy with the hoister trapped to leeward.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:31 pm

To the question of class legal - the older boats came with only the mast cleat. My boat is #82 and I had to add a deck cleat.

We hoist at the mast and take down from the cockpit. Someone, I think it was Steve Hammerman, suggested a long time ago that the Lance cleat was ideal for the mast. We have found this to be true. Mounted slightly out of line with the lower turning block the cleat will hold the halyard up and then pop out when the halyard is tensioned from the cockpit.

The other advantage of the Lance cleat is that the halyard is always in the cleat while hoisting. This helps avoid rope burns if the kite fills during the hoist.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:43 am

To those that extended their spin halyard back to the cockpit did you have to lengthen it ? How did you secure it at the cockpit ? padeye,cam ?

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:50 pm

Cam on the cabintop. Since most of my sailing is daysailing, I made a similar setup on the port side for the main halyard (no lengthening required), but with a clutch on the cabintop for more holding power. Makes raising and lowering the main from the cockpit a cinch. No secondary winches on my cabintop.

Chip
"Gizmo" #257

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:56 am

J80's downunder

A freind and I have just imported a J80 from Singapore down to Sydney and we are just getting the boat all ready for racing

Does anyone else have a J80 in Oz !!!!!!!!

Cheers

Adrian

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques