Nominations for 2002 Class Officers

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:00 pm

I believe we have had enough endorsements of the existing class officers to qualify as a nomination and second, so they should be added to the ballot. Since we don't seem to have a ratified constitution yet, there is nothing that forces this vote, but we have gone a long way down this road to stop it now, since the nomination close today. If we are going to keep any (or all) of the existing officers, we should vote them back in.

As I see it, we have the following valid nominees:

President
Geoff Pierini
Bernie Nauta
Steve Hammerman (incumbent)

V. President
Martin Kald
Pete Carelli (incumbent)

Secretary
Pete Carelli
Vicky Jo Neiner (incumbent)

Treasurer
Mike Lague
Karl Deham (incumbent)

Chief Measuer
Karl DeHam

Perhaps the best thing we can do is get this vote behind us, finalize and ratify a constitution, and do this a little less painfully next year.

I would like a peek at the latest draft of the constitution, and a chance for some input. I also suggest that the elected officers consider forming ad-hoc committees to take on some of the tasks we need to grow. We probably could use an Events committee to promote and expand the venue of races, an Aministrative committee to get some of the class activity rules formulated and on paper, maybe a Cmmunications committee to fix the web page, take care of mailings, etc. and even a membership committee to pursue getting more of the owners involved with class activities.

For me, I find it very hard to find fault with the existing officers. They have done alot, as have the officers before them. Since we still have a ways to go to, more of us should get involved. I will.

Steve
Ghost Dancing

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:54 pm

I second Tom Gore's nomination of Steve Strout for Secretary. Further, I move that nominations cease as of the end of the day, February 28, 2002 and call for a vote on nominations as they stand at that time.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:44 am

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit with Steve Hammerman at a circuit stop. I was able to satisfy most of my questions and concerns in the dialogue with him and other members present. I think Doug Hannah has summed up quite well a general outline of where we have been and where we need to go. I agree with him on most points and think others have made comments that can foster fleet vitality. I have some concerns, which include ideas such as having a meeting at a forum like a regatta such as Key West, and thinking it can represent the membership, but on speaking with Steve, I understand that it may have taken on a life of it's own after the fact, when it was designed only as a (town hall meeting forum). I think it is important that we take all these ideas with the attitude that the members expressing them are trying to foster good fleet health. With this in mind, I would like to withdraw my nomination for president and support the current fleet officers in another term to allow them to complete some of the projects under way, and encourage all members to monitor progress through their local fleet representatives and the fleet officers. Good communications are crucial to letting the J-80 class thrive.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:38 pm

It seems like there's a core of people who have strong feelings about this election. To them the choices here may be obvious, but to me, this just looks like change for the sake of change. As I understand it, a ballot is going to be mailed to each registered class member to vote for new officers. I suggest that for a lot of class members, the choices are pretty much arbitrary. For others, it is a popularity contest or a vote of confidence, or lack thereof, in the current officers. I respectfully submit that to make this worth the effort, each of the candidates must articulate to the voting mass what it is that they want to do for the class in their proposed capacity. Only then will the elected officers have a true mandate to carry out their agenda.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:23 am

It is my understanding that each candidate has been asked to write a statement which will appear with the ballots. For most voters, this will be the primary means of learning the intentions of the candidates.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:54 am

I am very impressed how much interest there is about the elections and the "different" approached by different candidates.

Surely we all must share a common goal of making the class grow and double in numbers in the next five years. How the different canditates propose to go about it is a minor detail.

We surely all must be converted J/80 sailors and the "enemy" is outside and we would not waste valuable resources (taleted people, committed members) having factions in our own ranks.
There is a lot of competion out there from other classes and I believe we can ill afford to have divisons.
So please get on and resolve you differences get back to the real job of making the class grow and become am major force in our segment.
Please guys it is not a presidential election. We just need to double the size of our fleet in the next five year.
Together we can do it, as a fraction class we will be the laughing stock and other classes are happily taking on potential j/80 owners.

Well some may find it too simple, but that how it look from a distance, and you right Down under is a long way away...

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:45 pm

Subsequent to my nomination, the existing officers have accepted nomination for their current positions. This acceptance provides the needed continuity of class direction that I had hoped to maintain by seeking a position as a class officer. Therefore, I withdraw my bid for the position of Class Secretary and endorse the existing Secretary, Vicky Jo Neiner.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:10 pm

Packets have been mailed out containing ballots and other pertinent information. Please fill out the forms and return in the enclosed pre-addressed stamped envelopes. Make your votes count!

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:19 pm

Steve Strout,

Please reconsider. I urge you to run for Secretary. The Secretary is a key role to the Class. If you look at the class constitution, you will see in section 9.9 that the role of the Secretary has not been fulfilled by our existing Secretary. For example, at the annual meeting in KW, the Secretary never produced the minutes... the President had to ask the general attendees to produce the minutes (1 month later). Also, the secretary is responsible for membership records. There are no membership records. That is why we have had to fill out 5-6 request for information during the last 12 months. There is currently no continuity in this very important role.

Please reconsider,

Michael Lague

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:06 am

For those too lazy to read the proposed constitution; my reading:

1) Board of Governors needs 10 members for a quorum. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't even 10 eligible Governors at the present time
(4 exec. committee members + 5 fleet reps.)

2) Board of Governors is basically powerless; even if they get a quorum and 100% of the fleet representatives want to amend the class constitution, 3 members of the Executive Committee can veto the amendedment. Also, Board of Governors is not even privy to Class Finances =
Constitution says the Treasurer need report only once a year to the Executive Committee.

3) At least Bob von Felton can join J/80 USA since there are no residency, boat registration limitations.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:49 pm

For those interested, there are now 8 recognized fleets with another 2 who have applied for official status and should gain approval in the near future. Thank you and anyone else who took the time to read the constitution and other material that was recently mailed out. Please feel free to contact the Class Officers with any questions that you might have. Ballots will be tallied, verified, and results reported the first week in April.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:59 pm

Those of you who know me know how wacked I can get about rules and compliance. Although I tried pretty hard, I can't find anything objectionable in the proposed constitution. Mr. Berns is incorrect, item 10.5 does not overrule item 8.4. Also, each of us (as members) have the right to review finances per item 14.2. And let me be the first to welcome Mr. Van Felton to J80 USA!

I would like to point out that this constitution will require another election to be held in December of this year. Knowing that that election is coming, I re-iterate my endorsement of remaining with the current officers for now.

As such, I remain withdrawn

Steve Strout
Ghost Dancing

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:06 am

I Agree with Steve Strout,If the new constitution is approved we will have to hold an election for new officers again in December. I can apreciate how much work has gone into putting together this package and would suggest that we come up with an alternative. We can extend the current term, or wait until December for this election. ANy Comments ?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:38 pm

If no one but the Executive Committee elected in March 2002 is nominated for the December 2002 elections (all other interested/qualified potential candidates agree to refuse nominations) then it would seem that the March 2002 Executive Committee can be considered re-elected by default, without a need for re-balloting.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 12:08 pm

Michael Lague, Class Members;

Regarding your comment about the performance of our current Secretary, Vicky.

While I agree that the standard corporate role of Secretary or as it is defined in the proposed class constitution had not been adhered to. Without an official class constitution, the responsibilities of class Secretary were not defined or "Class Law". And so every officer was winging-it.

With the much needed ratification of the Class Constitution, we will have a well defined set of operating parameters to judge class officers performance in the future.

Sincerely,
Greg Locke

Previous

Return to Archived Class Association Business