Forum Censorship Criteria

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:23 pm

Just wondering if anybody else is wondering about the who, what and why of the censorship on this forum. I guess I can understand the logic of removing offensive language and personal attacks, but I think it might go beyond that.

There was a thread where someone was asking about the local fleets. Various fleets reported their size and location. That was removed??? Anybody think that was offensive or personal?

I see some references to other removed messages that might involve problems that people have with the class and/or the organization. How else, given the complete lack of formal class communication, could anyone bring up these issues?

I posted a quip about kelp on the keel and a possible antibiotic cure. Not appropriate!!

I used to think that the only reason that this class had no charter, functional governing board, or active class publication, is that nobody was willing to step up to the task. I think reasonable people close to the situation might come to a different conclusion.

I predict that this message will last about an hour. If it does, please have the courtesy to inform us who and why?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:38 pm

Actually, I take full credit and responsibility for the censorship on the forum. When I was given permission by J/Boats several years ago to resurrect the J/80 website and forum, I promised to keep things "proper." The previous forum, as well as several other boating forums,had been shut down because of inappropriate, slanderous, and potentally libelous postings using other legitimate users' names. Since that time, I have only removed two postings that were inappropriate and/or inaccurate. One of those recently involved a direct/indirect attack on me and my integrity. I'll be the first and last person to invite anyone who has questions, comments, criticisms, or complaints to contact me directly. My e-mail address and telephone number are readily available on this website. As for the fleet information, it is still posted (never was removed) - look under the Racing Tools and Techniques section.

Please remember that a quick search or telephone call can save alot of time and can avoid negativity and undermining of the advancement of our class.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:20 pm

Great job on the site as always Dr. Hammerman. Any and all users of the forum can trust his judgement on what is appropriate and what is not.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:54 pm

I also think that the forum is well managed. One question. Is the data from the old forum lost and gone forever? There was a lot of good info there, but if its gone you might want to eliminate the reference to it in the opening page of the forum.
Nigel Beale
J SPOT

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:06 pm

Thanks for reminding me.......The information is still out there. We will attempt to archive it into the new website when it is up and running later this Spring.

Return to Archived Class Association Business