J/80 Singlehanded Setup

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:20 pm

Have any of you equipped your J/80 for singlehanded racing? I am seriously thinking about entering a 110nm solo race. I will have to rig a topping lift (no rigid vang), a tillerpilot (required by RC), jacklines, etc. I've used spinnaker socks on other boats, but I don't intend to bother with one on the J/80. If any of you have any advice on singlehanding the J/80 you can offer, or would be willing to exchange a few Q&A e:mails, I'd be grateful.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:01 pm

I'd suggest you rig it for cross-sheeting, so you can sheet the jib while staying at the helm on the high side. I used Kerry's set-up with blocks on the rail and (now illegal for one-design) cleats at the corners of the deck and the cabin bulkhead. The cleats aren't really necessary, though. I have a spin sock but I don't use it because it is easier and faster to fly the chute without it. I'm curious about the type of tiller pilot you'll use, I've been thinking about getting one for my boat.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:57 pm

I have genoa tracks on my J/80, so I can cross sheet using those blocks. I am leaning toward the small Raymarine ST1000+, but I am not looking forward to cutting hole(s) to mount it.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:54 pm

I don't do any single-handed racing, but I have recently been using my ST1000+ quite a bit for daysailing with the family and it really works well when combined with a wind instrument plus it makes flaking the main a cinch while underway when only two are on the boat...tracks nicely to the apparent direction and performs tacks & jibes reasonably well. I have the remote and from its plug in the cabinhouse face, I can move all over the boat making trim adjustments and altering course as necessary. The remote also acts as a repeater and provides boat speed and wind info as well. Not sure how you can mount the ST1000+ without cutting at least two holes...

I cross sheet using the lifeline stantion base for the turning block (very helpful on heavy air days, especially when short-handed) and have jacklines which we only use for our 2 year old's tether, but I can see these being required as a single-handing safety measure. I suppose dedicated blocks installed at the rail would be better, but the stantion bases provide a no-hole solution and a good angle through the openings in my dodger.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:02 pm

Craig, how did your single-handed racing work out? I'm toying with the idea myself, I've done a 650nm double-handed and it was great.

When I've done shorter trips solo I've successfully used a "tiller-lock" system but to go solo any longer distances an autopilot would of course be needed.

Your experiences of the auto-pilot would thus be especially interesting to hear about.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:57 pm

Electric autohelms use a substantial amount of battery power, especially in heavy weather when you need it most. I think if I were to consider a long solo passage, I'd look into an old fashioned vane type self-steering rig.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:27 am

i have an st2000 installed on my boat. i added an extra battery. the 2000 works excellent and doesn't draw a ton of juice (1 - 1.5 amps). however the autopilot for racing needs wind direction input to really work properly. i am considering a 1000nm ocean passage (see post 'would you' under maint topics)and think a windane is mandatory equipment.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques