Spinnaker snuffer

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:30 am

Anyone use a snuffer for the spinnaker ? Comments ?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:36 am

Don't need a snuffer 1) Grab foot of sail 2) blow tack line 3) gather foot of sail 4) release halyard 5) drop sail, grab & stuff making sure head of sail does not get caught just above lower spreader. In a breeze it helps to bear off so main blankets chute.

After a few times, this can be done easily even when sailing solo.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:36 am

How about launching. That is my major problem.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:02 pm

Pole out, turn deep, tack out, halyard up then sheet in. I've used a sock on bigger boats, you really do not need one on a J/80, more hassle than it's worth. My wife and I (average sailors) have flown our chute in 25 knot winds without a problem. Just make sure you turn deep so the main blankets the chute and make sure the sheet is loose until the tack and halyard are all the way. You just need to try it a few times, preferably in moderate wind the first few times.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:12 am

I finally got a chutescoop. Could be the best $165 I have spent in a while. Only used it twice so far. Launching is very simple. Dousing is also simple, but have to work on my technique for getting the sail into the boat after snuffing. This is a great thing for a short handed sailor and relatively inexpensive especially compared with the sail repairs/replacements for torn or disintegrated chutes.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques