PHRF RATING

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:41 pm

Considering purchasing a J-80. I would like to race OD primarily but there is not a group in my area so I would race PHRF a good bit too. I am interested in opinions on fair rating for the J-80 in comparison to J-29 MHOB, J-27 and J-30. I have seen the J web site list of PHRF ratings but wanted to get feed back from the guys racing the boats. Further, what condition does the J-80 sail best to its rating?

Thanks,
Scott

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 10, 2001 2:25 am

Scott,
Here a J80 with a 155% genoa rates 111. in light air with genoa we are faster than J105s up and down. 117 with class sails is ok above 10-12 kts or so. It is hard to stay with other boats without a genoa in the very light air. My last boat was a J30 & we are much faster in the 80. Light air was allways the 30's Achillies heel too unless you had a class 165% #1. But upwind in 20kts with the class #2 @ 140% and a full (1400lb) crew was fast, but not this fast.
Tom Gore
#36 Javelin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:46 pm

I've owned a J22 and a J27. I love the J80. In light air , if you race PHRF you will die without a genoa and kill with one. The boat is slightly faster than the J27 and feels much faster. Its more fun to sail the angles on the runs and does pay off. I feel we can compete in any conditions. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the J22.
Jim Ryan
What, Me Worry?
J80 #294

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:14 pm

I hae raced my 80 PHRF in the OD configuration for the last 3 years. Very past in 8+ kn. Disappointing in less since most of our racing is evening club racing in 8kn or less. Minutes ago, I just ordered a Pentex P10 139% genoa from North. I picked that size since I think that larger than that would be a big hit on the rating. I also think that since the boat has such a large main, that 155% is too large if any breeze does come up. Too, the Chicago North rep felt that 155% is bad since slot control is poor with the large main too.

Comments (soon if I have done the wrong thing...)

John

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2001 6:37 pm

John
I don't think you have done the wrong thing. Fundamentally it comes down to tailoring your sail inventory to the conditions you see AND the way your local PHRF fleet handicaps. Here in Rhode Island, evening club races often start in 12-15 knots true but then end in 5-7. Like you, I found the J/80 in OD configuration died in the lighter going. The compromise that worked was a 135% Kevlar genoa which cost us a 3 sec/mile PHRF penalty. It proved large enough to provide power in the light stuff but was still managable at the upper end. We used the sail successfully in mixed spinnaker fleets which included J/24's, J22's, J27's, J/30's and even a J/92 and ended up using the sail quite a lot. The 150-155% carries a 6 sec/mile PHRF penalty hereabouts and the people who use them say they are all done by 8 knots true at most - so I figured why carry a penalty 100% of the time for a sail I would only use aroud here maybe 5% of the time.

Regards

John Bert

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:55 am

Here's the followup to my post on the 139 I ordered.

We had a windy spring (plus floods) and didn't use the sail at all since the season got off to late start. During the summer series our traditional breeze during evening races is dying with 8kn and less common. We are currently in this pattern now.

Its a completely different boat with the 139 up. We absolutely fly. Before, we couldn't even keep up with S2 7.9s with 155's to weather. J27's killed us and the J29s were out of sight. With the new jib we are pretty much boat for boat lots of times with the J29s. We have gone from mid fleet to 2-3-4 (assuming crew work is ok) and never want for boat speed.

This is the sail for PHRF for us. We have lots of power and we point well. I can see that we would hurt above 10-12kn - and the change down would be ugly. I also think that the 155 would have been way too big and that we probably would have been overpowered at 6kn and on our ear in 8kn.

I really wish I hadn't waited so long for this sail. Now, in the light stuff, we attack to weather (never could before) and we attack off the wind.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques