Fast Hoisting of Spinnaker in moderate to heavy air

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:26 pm

I would welcome a discussion on differt technics to hoist the spin after the windward mark.
We do it as a three part operation. 1. Extend pole (works well and fast) 2. Feed tack of kite to the extended pole. (slow, clumby and just to heartbracking to have other boats overtake you while you fiddle around. 3. Hoist and fill (works well now)
How can we improve the second part. Feeding the kite out to the pole and a fast and efficent way?
Did anybody develop a technic which is fast?
Can you feed the kite to the pole before the windward mark and extend the pole afterwards? How do you stop the kite from blowing away?
Did anyboyd experiment with wollen strings to keep the kite together and when you hoist it they explode? This would allow you to prefeed the kite to the no-extended pole before the mark.
Did anybody ever try to hosit the kite from the front hatch?
I see my boy hosting their kite on a skiff in 3-4 sec and sometimes they do it during a gbe. I know we can not do 65m kites like that, but it takes us more than 2min to set the kite. I would like to have kite up in 30 sec once we pass the mark.
Any ideas who we can achieve that?
Any feedback much appreciated.

For those of you interested in optimising you asymmetical sailing Skill check out the following web site:
www.cherub.org.au/frontland.htm

" Frontier Land-Asymmetric Dinghy Crewing Technigues"

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:05 am

There is no reason why it should take 2 minutes to hoist. You can ordinarily pre-feed the tack as far as the bow pulpit and it will be pinned between the jib and lifeline, keeping it on board. If you extend the sprit as you round the mark, keep the tack line uncleated until the sprit is all the way out, then cleat the tack line. The halyard should be going up immediately afterward, with the last 6 feet or so of tack line pulled in simultaneously. 30 seconds is definitely realistic in this scenario.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:17 pm

On the 80 I have crewed on for the last 3 years (Monster Lady) I do not think, under any but the most challenging conditions, it takes us more than 10 seconds to hoist and fill the chute.
We never pre-feed the tack. Once the chuts is being hoisted there is much less resistance on the tack and it always makes it to the end of the pole before the head reaches the top of the rig.
Our positions during a hoist are:
Forward man hoisting at the mast and cleating the halyard on the mast mounted cleat. We do not have or want a cabin top cleat.
Next man back feeds the cute out of the companioway bag by holding the entire chute in his arms and keeps it from catching as it goes up.
Third man back pulls the tackline. Once the tackline is made, he switches to the spin. sheet.
Helmsman steers and eases main and backstay.
This method has worked for us under all condtions and types of set (either bearaway or jibe). The key is for the helmsman not let the chute fill until the chute is hoisted!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:57 am

Bob,

Chris' method is the way I do it and I would say on a good set 2-3 boat lengths from the mark the sail is flying. 30 seconds is probably a bad set. James is correct that the last bit of tackline is much easier to pull to the end of the pole once the halyard is partially up.

Jay Lutz

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:36 pm

We have found that in moderate to heavy air there can be an advantage to leaving the tack at the prefeed position until the halyard is nearly full hoist. If traffic forces you high during the set the kite won't fill till the tack is made. If the kite fills prematurely, it can be difficult at best and dangerous at worse for the mastman who is hauling on the halyard.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques