Electronics

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:10 pm

As a novice sailor and new member of the fleet, I will be asking some basic questions, so hold back the flames until next year....

Question: Is it permissible and/or cool to have a wind measuring system on your boat?

I've seen a Raytheon system that appears to measure wind speed, direction, and VMG, all in a neato display. It appears to make sailing more video game like...

The reason I ask, is being from the drag racing scene, guys with electronics were shunned or banned from many races....is this the same in sailing?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:38 pm

Chris,
Most of the serious racers frown on wind instruments, but I do have a wind system on my boat. It is a Raytheon ST40 and I love it. I do not race much except for PHRF. I think the reason most of the true racers do not use it is that they are truly exceptional sailors that sail mostly from boat "feel". I admire their skills. I find my system very helpful and at the same time just darn interesting. Enjoy the boat !!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:01 pm

For one-design class racing, the wind instruments are not allowed under class rules. For handicap racing, you may use them. My best advice is to learn to sail the boat by the feel of it. Too much information can confuse things. Although some do not use one, I like the relative reference that a speedo provides. We don't try to sail to polars or VPP's, but we do follow the changes in speed when we make changes to trim, etc while sailing.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 8:37 am

Hallo Chirs,

I am using a wind vane as you desribe it for 2 years and due to an little accident I lost the vane and the vindex and had to sail a race without it. I did have the speedo working and sailed only by feel and telltales.
Guess what, after being a little nervous in the beginning I sailed my best race in a long time. Steve is absoultey correct. Lean to sail the boat by feel,a speedo can be helpful.
Play the video games at home, the J/80 is just a responsive boat, you do not do any judges to the boat and not listening and feeling the boat.
Tell tales propery installed and maintainded are still the best wind indicators there are and there are so cheap. UK sailing web site has a excellent article in the training guide the provide explaning the different sailing mode like speed building, pointing, speed, and pinching, by reading a set of 50 cents tell tales correcly.
No electronic instrument can do that so far.
Downwind all you need is to watch the heel and the pressure of the sheets.
Check the speedo and if the boat feels a bit sluggish, head up a bit till it start to heel and the spin trimmer start to sweat, (if he is well trained he will call "preassure gaining" and you bear away till the heel is more managable, and the spin trimmer calls "pressure loosing" and you start to build pressure again by heading up.

Wind vanes No. Speedo Yes, Telltales most important, Windex good idea.

This is a overgrown dinghy with a big keel bolted onto it. Sail it like a dinghy and enjoy it like a dinghy.It is a fun boat, the longer I sail it the more I like it...

If you boat has not got a electronic compass such as a ticktack T 60 get one.They can be very useful to play the windshifts upwind to the full potential.
Get one if you interested in electonics. They designed for sportsboats like the J/80 very simple and good fun to use.

Well that my opinion down under after sailing the boat for 3 years in mainly heavy air.

I bought a a wind vane because I thought you needed one. when I first started sailing the boat. Save you money and buy top quality sails you get more fun for you dollar.

Kind regards

Bob von Felten
Cafe Latte # 95
Australia

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:17 pm

Bob

I could not find the telltale article under "UK sailing." Do you have a more specific site?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:15 am

I think Bob is referring to http://uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia.html

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:35 pm

Thanks Mark,
This the correct site. (Chapter 5)
Regards
Bob

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques