Magic solution for problems with Harken primary winches

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:57 am

Hi Gang,

I got so feed up with the poor performance of my two self-tailing 32 Harken winches that I decided to rig my boat like a more high performance sports boats (Melges24) more like a dinghy.

I use a 2:1 purchase on the sheet and a 80 Lemar rachet (holding 15:1) and rig it up similar to Kerry Kinglers boat.

Works beatiful. Fast tacks and we regulary sail in 20-25 knots and my jib trimmer is a middle age 54 year old not so fit family man.

In light winds we just turn the rachets off.
We get the 2:1 with a harken micro carbon block and start rigging on the shrouds, go to the block at the clew of the jib, back to the car lead and to the rachet block installed next to the stanion and into a spinlock mini clutch.

Very nice because you naturally do cross sheeting so the jib trimmer is not on the leeward side, you go trough the tack, put the sheet on before the wind get to it, close the clutch, hop on the rail and if necessary fine FROM THE RAIL. Similar like trapeze dinghies, the crew is on the wire, may be 10 foot away from the cleat and controlls the jib with the jib lead in the hand.
The purchase and the rachet will allow him without winch to adjust the sail to the wishes of the everdemanding skipper and still hicking hard.

I wish I had done it in the very beginning.

What to to with the winch? Clean it, sell it or store it till you want to sell you boat.

Of course only for the non one design people.

Anybody interest I am happy to send a pic

Bob
Cafe Latte
Down Under

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2001 7:04 pm

Does anyone have a successful solution to kelp on the keel?

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2001 7:11 pm

Please ignore the kelp message here. I more properly posted my question under its own catagory.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:15 pm

Here are a few pictures of Bob Von Felton's jib sheeting rig described in his post... see below, posted November 5th.

Bob said be sure to mention how this is similar to Kerry Klinger's arrangement but different in that it's beefed up for heavier air.

Thanks to our hardworking "webmaster" for making pictures possible!!

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:21 pm

Make that Bob von Felten!! (not Von Felton) I kept the pictures small for this post .... I'll send larger versions to anybody who asks ... necessary to see the details. E-mail me.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:51 am

Thank you Bob for you work on sending the pics.
The first pic also shows the doubling up of the boom vang to 16:1 a good thing in heavy air.
This allows for good vang sheeting. ( Vang block to block, traveller in comfortable position and playing the mainsheet.)
The hard on vang keeps the bottom part of you leech stiff and only the top parts exhaust air,
Only called for in blows above 20knots.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques