Fleet #s, Locations

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 29, 2001 5:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm a new J/80 owner and was wondering if anyone could forward a list of fleets around the U.S. and the numbers of boats in each fleet. I'm currently in Seattle and very curious about where the greatest concentrations of J/80s and J/80 activities are around the country.

Thanks a bunch,
Chip Vollers, #257 "Gizmo"

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:59 pm

Chip,

Don't know if there's an accurate up to date list with boat counts, but maybe we can generate one here.

Fleet 1 is on Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire - 10 boats.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:45 pm

Chip

I will follow Bob's lead.

There are 4 boats on Lake Champlain in Vermont.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:35 pm

I received an email from KDEHAM showing 28 boats in Texas. Anyone from New Jersey and New York care to chime in?

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:23 pm

There are 2 boats on Lake St. Clair.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:31 pm

There are 2 boats in Cleveland.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2002 11:41 am

Of the 28 Texas boats, 13 are in Fleet #2 (Galveston Bay/Houston, TX).

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:16 pm

I know of 7 on Lake Michigan, 6 near Chicago, but no organized fleet that I'm aware of - all suffering through PHRF.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:52 pm

Fort Worth Boat Club on Eagle Mountain Lake has 12 boats in Fleet 5.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:57 am

There are 7 on Lake Dillon in Colorado. This is the second year of the fleet and will grow by 2 or 3 this year. Great Boat, Great group of people nationally. Come see us for the Dillon Open is August. It is a great vacation

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:47 pm

Fleet #4 - Eastern Long Island, New York has 11 boats with an average of 7 that race in season series. We have our own start on at least 8 weekends and numerous other PHRF/ mixed fleet starts available. Good race committee's from local YC's. Boats are located in Sag Harbor, Southampton and Cutchogue Harbor.

This October, we will likely host the 1st Annual Long Island Championships

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:48 pm

Austin, Texas (Lake Travis) has just reached five boats and in the next couple of months could grow to eight. We are in the process of applying for fleet status.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:18 pm

There are presently 5 recognized J80 fleets: #1 Lake Winnipeasauke, #2 Galveston Bay,
#3 Annapolis, #4 East End Bays and #5 Fort Worth. There are another 8 or 9 areas with enough boats to form fleets.

To form a recognized fleet send the Class Secretary a
list of the members of your fleet subject to a minimum of five J80 owners, make sure that they are all current
members of the Class Association, and send a schedule of your local J80
one-design races for the upcoming season. Indicate who to put down
as the fleet captain and what name your fleet will go by.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:27 pm

It would be great if someone from the Executive Committee would provide the accurate answer to the original question. This was a topic at the meeting in Key West.

Michael Lague

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques