Spinaker Pole on J/80

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:24 am

I do more and more JAM fleet racing (Jib and Main only) because I like the company.

I need a pole to keep the jib or genova out. What is the right size?
Is the spin pole of the J/24 a good size?

Would it work?

Any advise much appreciated.

Bob
Cafe Latte # 95

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:27 am

Bob
I plan on doing more JAM this season.
Do you think it is faster going straight
downwind wing and wing or jibing from broad reach to broad reach ?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:02 pm

Dear Ken,
It depends on the way the course is set and the wind strenght.
I find most JAM courses are set so they have good square runs and as far as the wind strenght is concerened I believe that in most cases up to 15-18 knots true wind you will be faster wing-to wing. So wing wing can work very well.
I noticed the trim becomes quite important, so pay particular attention where you crew is sitting. A small amount of moving aft or foreward can make a lot of difference in speed.
And of course head directly to the mark. If you can arrange that you come in a bit low on the mark and change to a reach mode for at least the last 200 yard and being on the starboard tack you have it made around the mark and will make a few position just as you approach the mark taking advantage of you starboard tack position and the accelaration you get each time you head up a bit.
(Giant killing in style...) Just set you main so you only have to put the genova back and are tactically in the right position.
Works well for me and is good fun. Try it.

Bob

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques