You haven't lived till you get the boat over 13kts

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:58 am

Call it bragging, sharing or whatever, but our last club race in Austin was unbelievable.....

With wind over 20, we needed to tight reach to get to a mark downwind. We had the boat up on a plane at over 13kts and it was wild. The boat was accelerating so fast that we started to submarine until I got the crew to move to the back of the boat. After that it took off like a ski boat. The other boats told me that the wake behind the boat was well over my head. My crew swears we caught air at one point.

Everything held together well, however that sprit pole really bends under that much load. It was fairly easy to control, I just checked with my trimmer if he was OK and kept it hot. Heading down slightly gets it under control quickly. If you get the chance try it. It will blow your mind!

CB

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:22 pm

Try it double-handed and you'll really feel the excitement. The only way to fly...

Chip Vollers
Gizmo #257

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:15 am

Been there, done that. Any of you guys getting cracks where the sprit exits the hull?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:53 am

Yes.
I had mine professionally repaired last summer (1994 boat).

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:50 pm

Mark,

I'm getting spider cracks as well. USA 31

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:22 pm

Yes, I have some small cracks too. 1984 boat now professionally repaired.
It is one of the joys of this boat that you can experience the thrill of high-speed plaining without the capsizes of skiffs...provided you have enough wind.

By the way, how to you controll the spin sheet. I find the rachets to hard on the trimmer and I do not want it to be cleated. Do you use one turn on the winch without cleating?

Bob

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:53 pm

Bob,

Are you sure you have a J80? I thought they only started manufacturing them in 1993. Or is your boat the one they made the mold from? Or did it become a J80 after the professional repair job? Just kidding... I assume you had a typo.

Just having some J80 fun!

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:20 pm

Chris and Bob, Did the repair involve new glass or were the cracks just in the gelcoat? Bob, I have never used the winches with the chute. Our team is involved in a rigorous strength training campaign combined with a low protein, high carbohydrate liquid diet - twelve ounce bicep curls. And Mike, don't be mean to my good friend Bob or I'll have to talk to Mrs. Lague.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:45 pm

Had a crack in the top ofthe pole housing the first year (1995). Was repaired by waterline but I think they only gel coated over. Crack reappeared the next season. It looked like a serious problem but it just stayed that way for years. Finally got it repaired again in the fall of 2000. Didn't come back last season.

So in my case the cracks didn't seem to effect the strength, having survived many days with heavy air.

One thing that happened to another boat in our fleet was the eye at the end of the pole pulled through. It is not an easy repair. I examined the pole and eye, it was fastened to the flat on the pole with only regular washers and locknuts. Can't even examine mine, as it must be put on before the cap is fastened to the pole. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I believe the boat that failed was #97 - circa 1995.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:40 am

Mark,
The area had glass added during the repair.
Bob,
Do you have any more details on the padeye failure? My boat (Hull 45) experienced a similar failure this year at KWRW. TPI determined that the end cap was improperly manufactured. I attached the padeye to a new cap with delrin backing plates and it seems to work fine now.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:46 am

Dear Mike,
It is nice to see you having some J/80 fun. When I look at the tone of the postings I hope more people will have some j/80 fun and enjoy what sailing is all about having fun and share some experience and being able to communicate ones view without fear of being picked for a typo error.
Where are the happy constructive and supportive j/80 sailor which help me learn how to sail and as experience live (yes I passed my 13knot test after about a year of high quality coaching by you present commitee members.

Have a nice day

Bob

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:42 pm

Chris,

I think it goes without saying that the thing was improperly manufactured when it is only backed up by a couple of 1/4" washers. The only question is "Are they all improperly manufactured?" Did the factory give you any indication what standard procedure was?

I don't know any more about the repair on #97 except that she was back out the next week with a working pole. You can email Al and ask him - AHERTE@cyberportal.net .

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:33 pm

I have the same hairline crack in the top of the housing. I've been told not to worry, that it's just cosmetic in the gelcoat. Given the length of the pole and the forces at work on the end of it on a 20K+ day, it's easy to see how the housing might crack. Like others, I am keeping my fingers crossed until I see that crack get either longer or wider...

Has anyone tried a reinforcing sleeve inside the housing?

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:14 pm

I believe there is a Delron sleeve inside the housing.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:07 pm

You think 13kts is fun....try 19. Lakefest 2001, Sherman, Texas.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques