J/80's on Tampa Bay?

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:53 pm

50/50 chance I'll be moving there this fall. Wanted to join DIYC (did some Wed eve racing there as "walk-on" crew/railmeat too many years ago and enjoyed it), but don't know a soul in Tampa so no dice to start. Wondered if there are any J/80's in the area and if so are they concentrated at a particular club/marina/area OR if not where best to keep a J/80 around Tampa/St Pete? Would rather ODR than PHRF.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:43 pm

The current Owner Database shows owners located in the following Florida cities: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach, Redington, Hollywood. For what it's worth, there have been no local boats in the J/80 class at the Tampa/St Pete NOOD for the past several years. Looks like you better grease up the bearings on Sweetie's trailer and hit the road for some good ODR racing. With a Tampa address, you could do Key West, SORC, and the St Pete NOOD on an easy travel schedule. You're always welcome to move the boat a little further west on the Gulf and race with us on Galveston Bay and the Southern Circuit. We'll even find a place for you to keep her on the trailer with little or no expense. We should see some new attendance records this year.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:20 pm

Well, "Wings" #259 did sail the St pete NOOD 2 years ago and finished third. "Wings" is the only J-80 in Tampa Bay and is about to become active in PHRF racing again....(took this winter off). Redington Beach is part of the Tampa Bay scene. I'm a member at Treasure Island Tennis and Yacht Club on the gulf coast and would love to see onther J-80 ..... if we can scare up one more we'll have something started!!

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:19 am

Don't forget me down here in Venice. Daysailing mostly and once a month PHRF with the nice folks at the Venice Sailing Squadron. Do not have a trailer but one of these weekends am threatening to get up to St. Pete

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:06 pm

Bob - Please feel free to borrow my trailer when you want to ... it's just sitting here in Redington Beach wishing somebody would take it for a ride now and then!

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques