Removing OB

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:14 am

I understand why it is important to keep weight out of the ends of a boat, but even though it's at the extreme end -- I wonder how much difference that 40-50 lbs of outboard on the transom really makes. Anyone out there who could in any way quantify whether or not it is worth it? In a serious race I would take mine off, but for daysailing and beercans, I really wonder how much difference it makes.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:18 am

Craig,

I don't know exactly what the performance impact is, if any, but for weekly Thursday night racing we require that ALL boats keep their motors on mounted. Several boats have to commute for an hour or more with 5 and 6 hp motors which are a bear to take off and replace.

The only downside is that it is a hazzard with the leg sticking out behind. You really have to be carefull when ducking a boat. Most of us keep safety lines on the motors in case they are knocked off or otherwise go over the side while racing.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:16 am

Dear Craig,
It really is a matter of choice. When we do racing on flat water with over 300 boats in confined area NOBODY has a OB, it just too dangerous when ducking and we all BELIEVE it makes a difference. If the weight is not a issue at least sailing in and out of pens, mooring harbours will give you a sense of achievment and you feel proud and sure looks good, and enjoy everybody else give RIGHT OF WAY, no matter how big and what tack they are on...provided of course space tide ect allow you to sail reasonably save without a motor.
Recently I did a winter serices where everbody needed a motor to go to the starting line on the ocean.(Rules) Whether I could feel the difference. NO, it just feels better to me without OD.
Please yourself, peer pressure forced me to sail in an out of the pen and now I quite enjoy it...
In the last 3 years I had to use the paddles once or twice, otherwise other boats would give me a tow anyway in the unlikely event that the wind trops completely.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:24 pm

In flat water, it should make little or no difference. In waves, the boat will pitch (hobbyhorse) less without the weight on the stern. I leave mine on for Weds night races (though others remove theirs and I see little effect), but they are held on a lake where waves are rare. For weekend events I always remove it.

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques