Upwind target speed

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:52 pm

I'm learning to sail my 80 : in the first races (mixed fleet no other J/80) I feel our boatspeed upwind well below my expectations despite my nice looking 135% genoa. The GPS gives a steady 5.4 knots upwind when it's blowing 10-12 and 4 crew. This seems too far away from the expected 5.8-6 knots based on the polars. Is there anybody out there who can tell me what the "proper" upwind speed should be in the above conditions ?

Many thanx

Massimo Polo
Italy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:08 am

Have you tried the blade?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:59 pm

Yes I did but without the GPS thus I cannot say if I was slow or not. I only can guess that - based on the heel angle - the speed should have been slightly lower than that of genoa, so...not good.

Massimo

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:37 pm

Dear Massimo,
I know how it feels being the only J/80 in the fleet. It took me quite a while to bring the J/80 up to speed. I am using a speedo, but I use it more for feedback as to optimise small adjustments in sail trim rather than absolute numbers, there is just so many different variables in wind, sea, chop.
My experience is the boat is very sensitive to minor adjustments and a good large display of boatspeed so all crew can see will benefit the whole team as to the optimum trim of the sail,boat. It also depends what you do with you tell tales, are you in speed building mode, speed mode, pointing mode ect. (UK sailmaker have an excellent web site :Learn centre :smile:
The last bit of speed (5.:cool: can be quite hard to achieve as you have to sail the boat fat to build speed and only start to point very high as you have the required speed.
On the level of sailing I do, I would compare my boatspeed with a the most similar boat in my fleet and you this as a reference.(size, displacement)This will give you more meaningful info as the reference boat always sail in the perfectly same conditions as you. After a while you know that in light conditions you point higher or go faster ect and you know if you sail good or not.
I stopped being to obsessed about the last 1% of boatspeed and work more on being in tune with the windshifts with the help of a micro Tacktick compass. This is very very rewarding in terms of being ahead of you competitors at the first windward mark. Whether that is correct in the eyes of the purist I do not know, it works very well for me as a recreational sailor.
Most likely you know most of that anyway, since nobody responded so far, I did have a shot at it.

Hope it helps

Bob von Felten
Cafe Latte # 95 Australia

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques