"Lightweight Hall outboard bracket" on 2002 Fall Spe

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:54 pm

Was looking at the 2002 Fall Special and noticed this among the items included. Thought it was surprising after 583 J/80's produced. I've resisted putting on an OB bracket just to keep #340 "pure" even though I have a tough time with the OB when the waves kick up. Anyone have any specific information about this bracket, I looked at Hall website but didn't find anything.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:58 am

On the Hall or Layline site it's under J/24 parts. Have one on my 80 (hull 538). Works well, mount it as low as possible.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:12 pm

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:26 am

My J80 does not have any bracket at all. I think I would like to add some rubber cushion since the nissan motor vibrates so much any ideas???
thanks

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:15 am

I put one on my boat (#45) this year. Seems to isolate some vibration, removes the possibility of hitting the rudder and keeps the tiller from rubbing on the motor while tacking. Unfortunately, it cannot really be mounted any lower than the transom location if you want the ability to tip the motor up out of the water, and is a pain to install (tough to access the nuts).

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:01 pm

Try using an old mouse pad. Works well for me.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:34 pm

Here's another one from West Marine that is cheaper and raises the motor out of the water:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commer ... 35&outlet=

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:00 am

RE: Installation of Hall outboard bracket.

I through bolted the top two bolts using stainless bolts, stainless fender washers, and stainless nylock nuts. The bottom two are stainless lag bolts bedded with 5200 (the bracket has to be lower than would allow through bolting of lower holes). There are no clearance issues, raised or lowered, using a 5hp Merc 2 stroke. Hope that helps.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:08 pm

I like the mouse pad idea.. I think I'll try it on my trailer pads...

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:38 pm

A cautionary tale:

Motoring back from Hyannis after the Figawi this weekend, our Hall bracket suffered a catastrophic failure - shearing in half. The outboard motor went swimming in Buzzard's Bay, bouncing off of the rudder on the way down. (Luckily, I had tied a rope to the motor, just in case I dropped it while mounting it on the bracket.)

Check your motor mounts!

Return to Archived Racing Tools & Techniques