AutoPilots

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:35 pm

Has anyone installed an Autohelm/Raytheon ST1000 or ST2000 on their J/80? If so, can you let me know what was required to do this, and how it was accomplished?

Same for any other electronic autopilots that may have been used.

Thanks and regards,

John Farmelo

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:07 am

I have a ST1000 installed on #257. The fixed end pin sits in a cup fitting mounted in the port side coaming while the moving arm fits into a pin on a bracket mounted near the aft end of the tiller. The bracket was fabricated to allow the unit to be horizontal when positioned in the coaming mount. The power/data jack is mounted in the side of the port coaming just below the fixed pin mount. Believe it or not, I also have a remote for the ST1000 that plugs in at the rear of the cabinhouse (port side) and ST60 instruments that interface with the autopilot. The instruments (speed, depth, and wind) are mounted in the aft face of the cabinhouse port side as well. The wiring was done in such a way as that the instruments will not work without the breaker for the autopilot being switched on.

Good luck!

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:06 am

I am also wrestling with installing an ST1000+ on my J/80, will be taking measurements this weekend. I have to make a decision one way or another soon or I will miss entry into a singlehanded event. I was thinking about mounting a solid by temporary teak or SS bracket secured to pushpit and/or stanchions to avoid compromising the flotation compartment. Doesn't the 'coaming' end cut into the flotation compartment (a concern in itself) and how did you get a backing plate in there? Same with installing the plug and where does the wiring come through on the bulkhead underneath? I am also thinking I will have to install another battery, can't imagine the stock batt will last very long. Thanks in advance...

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:01 pm

Hi Craig,

Good questions but unfortunately I don't have many answers...the boat came with the setup I described when I bought it. I have several wires and hoses running through my "flotation" compartment including the wiring for the autopilot. Oh yeah, I also have a second battery that I have never used. Not sure about the current/amperage draw from the unit, but I think a second battery would be more than sufficient (did I mention the shore power/recharger?). I do know that all the installation work was done by a professional rigger, not by the previous owner himself.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics