Transom-mount boarding ladder

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:05 pm

My wife says I MUST find a ladder that gives her a chance at a more graceful re-entry after a swim. Anybody found THE solution? Thanks

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:25 am

I have tried many and all types and I finally have something that the wife likes. It is all metal and folds in half. It has rounded tops and little standoffs. I just hang it on the stern lifeline and things line up. Release all tension in the backstay and even I look graceful on re-entry. No holes.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:14 am

Who makes this ladder? Any more details?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:35 pm

I bought mine at West Marine.

Chris

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:27 pm

Has anyone tried one of the scuba diving ladders? It would require drilling holes in the transom but the bracket looks pretty small. If i'm to get back into a J80 the wife says I have to resolve this. On my last J80 we tried the rope ladder route and that never worked well.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:27 pm

I don't have a solution, but I know the best place to locate a ladder would be off the topsides near the middle of the hull. A boat rocks fore and aft near the center of gravity (the keel). A ladder off the transom may seem convenient, but only in flat waters. With any type of wave action, the transom goes up and down a lot making it difficult to get in.

By the way, a ladder not only makes sense for recreation, but also for safety purposes to get crew back on the boat after falling off (in less than ideal conditions).
Terry Burke

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:20 pm

I combined 2 single step inflatable boarding ladders into a 2 step rope ladder, which I hang from the chainplates. Once I got the heights right, it was reasonably usable. The shrouds provide a good hand hold. I tried 2 other removable ladders, with no luck. This isn't perfect, but it works.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics