Main Halyard Cleat Replacement/Upgrade

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:10 pm

My mainsail halyard cleat on mast is showing some wear thus I was thinking to replace it. The idea would be upgrading the system with either a camcleat (but why don't they come as factory standard on main?) or a Spinlock PX cleat which looks attractive. Any thoughts ? Somebody told me Spinlock are not ideal when winches are involved, as on main halyard.

Thanks
Massimo

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:00 pm

I have a double spinlock clutch mounted on the cabin top, a halyard organizer is mounted 4 inches aft of the mast and outboard of the hatch to lead the halyards inline through the clutch to a #6 harken winch. It works perfect.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:02 pm

Stay away from the Spinlock PX cleat. They work great in the store, but I've had some issues with them on the boat. If there's any chance of someone/something touching the cleat top, or if the halyard gets lifted near the cleat entry, they tend to pop open. Usually at the worst possible time.

I like Greg's idea with the rope clutch and halyard organizer. Not only does it work better than the stock setup, I feel it is a safer method of allowing the halyard to be released in a hurry, if needed. I'm not sure what the one-design position is with this hardware swap. R Wagner USA 262

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:48 pm

I put a Harken 150 Mast Mount (avail. from Layline) on three years ago and it works great.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics